PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Bichir

Fre nchy
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Is it a bad idea? An Ornate with like 6 Discus (all be babies - including the Ornate) in a 35g (for now). How much bigger/smaller do Ornate's get compared to senegalus?

Lady Hobbs
05-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Discus should be kept pretty much alone other than for some bristlenose catfish. Their water has to be soft and quite warm temps which don't meet the needs of other fish.

Fishguy2727
05-21-2007, 07:31 PM
6 discus need a 55 minimum. I would not overstock a small tank unless you are absolutely certain you will be able to upgrade later. And you should get them in the bigger tank ASAP.

Ornates can max out at 2'.

I had a pair of albino senegalus in with my discus for a while. They are way too active and aggressive of an eater to be in with discus.

Fre nchy
05-21-2007, 10:22 PM
Okay, thank you for the information, but now I got myself a problem..

I have a 50 gallon tank that's overstocked already (my fish are healthy we're just going to need to upgrade at some point within the next few months), it's got one Discus because it's brother commited suicide when we found out that adding too many new fish at once isn't such a great idea. He's been a lil bitch since the other ones been gone so my girlfriend has been hassling me to pick up another Discus lately but I've been refusing because I'm surprised that one is still alive (6.6 pH, there is nitrite and nitrate present in the tank (safe according to the pH strips but I absolutely cannot rid myself of this stuff?? Any suggestions?)). She just called me and told me that she picked up 2 new discus (1 a baby, the other is about as big as our current one - the palm of a hand) from San Francisco (we live about an hour and 45 minutes away) and we havn't even set up our 35 yet (we still need to clean the gravel, sand, tank, filter, and get it running - so I'm assuming about 10 days before the Discoise will enter). The store she got it from is a specialty Discus store and they have special conditions inside their tanks that meet the needs of Discus. The problem is our other fish are supposedly supposed to have the opposite of Discus water parameters so I'm kinda stressin (because she absolutely REFUSES to return them) on what to do..

..Should I get the water conditions exact for Discus so they don't die (I forced her to go back and pick up another one after she called do to the company in which a Discus supposedly need keep)(also, they are really cheap at the store, so them perishing has nothing to do with money-care, it's the idea of killing them); or keep it inbetween so that all our fish are comfortable and none of them die (with the exception of the new discouise)?

PLEASE HELP!!

Fishguy2727
05-22-2007, 02:32 AM
6.6 is fine for discus. Temp should be 82-86F. What other fish are in there?

Fre nchy
05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Two Arius seemani (Columbian/Silver-Tipped Sharks), 4 Khuli Loach, 1 Dragon Goby, 2 pleco's (1 common, the other not so much..), 2 Angels, and a Polypterus senegalus (Cuvier's Bichir).

They seem to be doing fine now though. I think the big one is a Marlboro.

Fishguy2727
05-22-2007, 01:06 PM
The columbian/silver tipped sharks and dragon goby are brackish. With high stocking levels you just need mor efiltration and water changes. What is the nitrate level?

Fre nchy
05-22-2007, 01:19 PM
Last time I checked one (one of nitrite or nitrate - don't remember which one is which) was at the 0.5 level on the strip (safe) and the other one (the one you have to wait a minute before you check) was borderline safe/stress.

What would a good starter fish be for the nitrite cycle on my 35g that I could keep with my discus? I was thinking about kuhli loaches or (preferably) clown loaches? My girlfriend loves clown loaches but we were told that they absolutely cannot have salt in their water, true?

Fishguy2727
05-23-2007, 01:45 AM
No freshwater fish should have salt. There are a couple exceptions but you have none so that does not apply.

Why not use fishless cycling and/or seed the new tank with filter media form the other established tanks?

Fre nchy
05-26-2007, 05:22 PM
No freshwater fish should have salt. There are a couple exceptions but you have none so that does not apply.

Why not use fishless cycling and/or seed the new tank with filter media form the other established tanks?

Just plain aquarium salt (not for saltwater)(basicaly for brackish - can Clown Loach have that in their with them?)

I'm using the filter media that I had inside the filter from before I tore the tank down (I kept the water in the filter) and reestablished the tank together now ive got myself a cycle going:

One of my fish died and I had it in a quarantine for the period in which it was passing and I dumped some of that water in the new setup (just for the ammonia) - added some water conditioner; a few hours later I did a water change and now I'm just waitin to get the cash for a test kit.

Fishguy2727
05-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Brackish is part fresh and part salt, so it should have the same salts as a saltwater aquarium, just in a lower concentration.

They may tolerate it for a while, but no freshwater (besides a couple exceptions) should have salt because of the problems and stress from long term exposure to improper conditions.

Fre nchy
06-03-2007, 09:03 PM
So Discus don't need brackish? What about bushy nose pleco's?

Fishguy2727
06-04-2007, 03:47 PM
No freshwater fish need any salt in there water. As always there are a few exceptions. One is mollies. They are a true brackish fish and can tolerate fresh or salt, but will not do their best in either. They do best with some marine salt in there water. The natural forms need more, most that you will find in stores just need a little. African rift lake cichlids are used to certain concentrations of special cichlid lake salt. And some swear that goldfish and koi need some freshwater salt or rock salt. Other than that no freshwater fish need salt or should have any added to their water unless it is part of a temporary disease treatment.

troy
06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
No! Discus would be better off in a species tank or with a few tetras and corydoras. Also bichirs get a lot bigger than Discus.

puddlekeeper
06-07-2007, 05:37 PM
want someone to adopt the Bichir?? :thumb:

:help: .... I want another one ... if it's not too much bigger that mine!