PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Corys Ok?

Trillianne
04-25-2010, 04:37 AM
I am looking at fish I want as future stock in my tank and had a question on Cory cats.

At the local fish shops, I've seen a rather diverse selection of these guys, and from what I have read they are schooling fish. I am wondering if two groups of corys would get along well together? For example, 3 of one (panda) and 3 of another(peppered)?

wolf_eyes
04-25-2010, 04:55 AM
Cories prefer to be in groups of their own species. It would be best to stick to one species and get 6 of them. This way they will reward you with more natural behavior and possible spawning.

Trillianne
04-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Now its down to settling on which kind. So many tough choices -.-

Shootamonkey2
04-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Of course you can keep Corys in a group! I've got 2 silver (or regular) corys, 1 pepper, and 1 panda and they get along famously! They are all like a happy family hiding under the house.

Heres a picture of them! :)
My peppered cory is the only one missing in the picture. But still, it's a cute bunch.

Irish2539
04-25-2010, 08:45 AM
(Happily hiding under the house) Cory's generally are very active and playful, as wolf's eyes said they prefer to be in groups of their own species.

rich311k
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
They will get along fine. They will be more active with thier own species. How large is your tank?

Lady Hobbs
04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I tried two species and altho now and then they would mingle, mostly it was one species on one side of the tank and the others elsewhere in the tank. Like tetra's who prefer their own.

Trillianne
04-25-2010, 06:52 PM
They will get along fine. They will be more active with thier own species. How large is your tank?

I currently have a live planted 25 gallon. Its a tank I have used before (when I lived in another home) with one pleco, but from what I am reading probably a pleco was the wrong choice. He seemed to do a fine job, and lived up until the point I found him a new home when I moved, but from what I've been reading I was thinking 5-6 cories might be a better choice for the size.

Currently my tank has some live plants and a 5 school of bloodfin tetras. My bf really enjoys neons, so I will likely be adding a small school of those in the future.

Trillianne
04-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I tried two species and altho now and then they would mingle, mostly it was one species on one side of the tank and the others elsewhere in the tank. Like tetra's who prefer their own.

Well since its a smaller tank (at least at this point) I'll probably stick with one kind.

This may seem like an odd thing to say, but this is kind of our "test tank" in that spot in the house. The space is an odd shaped ledge that would easily hold a tank 2-3 times the size of the one there now, but we are a little worried it might get too much sunshine. Its not in any direct sunlight but there is an offset skylight a couple stories above that keeps the area well lit.

So for now I'll stick with one kind, and should we end up upgrading to something significantly larger I'll think about it then. :)