PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new 125G tank

Meatloaf
04-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm setting up a 125 gallon tank for my fancy goldfish. I have a few questions.

I plan on getting a canister filter for it, should I add a powerhead to help water circulation? Or should I rely only on airstones?

I'm doing a planted tank, no CO2 or HO lights. What low light plants have the greatest chance of surviving? The GF are still juvenile and seem to let some of my plants live in the small tank they're in now.

What would be some good tank mates for these fish? I have one pleco as well.

Thanks!

Northernguy
04-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!

I wouldn't add anything to that tank.GF get big and so do plecos depending on which kind it is.
I would run two canisters on it or a large canister and a large HOB like an Aqua Clear 110.

Cristoff
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
On my 90 gal GF tank I run a Cascade 1500 canister and 2 Aquaclear 50 powerheads with the universal filter attachment (mainly for water polishing)

I have 6 large fancy goldfish and a common pleco in it and the setup works wonderfully well.

Red
04-23-2010, 04:27 PM
You could try some java fern maybe, but goldfish love plants. How cool does your house get during the summer? What is your water change schedule?

Meatloaf
04-24-2010, 12:19 AM
I'm moving to a new house, but the tank will be in the basement so it should be relatively cool. I have 4 fancy gfs, and a common pleco. I was thinking of getting an apple snail or two.

I'm picking up 2 Coralife Aqualight PC fixtures, 48" and 2X 65W 6700˚K bulbs. Do you think I could handle some medium light plants in a tank that size? That's
260W combined.

The tank comes with an AquaClear 110, and I have 2 smaller hot filters. I'll probably add a Fluval 405 to the mix.

Thanks again

Northernguy
04-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Goldfish are good at making salad out of plants.There are a few that they will not eat.
A canister filter would be a great addition.

Fishguy2727
04-24-2010, 12:33 AM
I would run a Fluval FX5 and a very strong air pump with multiple air stones and/or sponge filters.

I fed New Life Spectrum exclusively and had the following plants with no problems: Cabomba, Anacharis, Hornwort, Val, Swords, Lotus, banana, onion, and many others.

A planted fancy goldfish is very possible. And with the proper water changes there are multiple possible tankmates as well.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/Goldfish/IMG_0872.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/Goldfish/IMG_1884-1.jpg

tanks4thememories
04-24-2010, 12:54 AM
I would run a Fluval FX5 and a very strong air pump with multiple air stones and/or sponge filters.

I agree that is exactly what I run on my 135 pred tank (link in sig) . I'm a big fan of FX5s

Meatloaf
04-24-2010, 12:39 PM

I fed New Life Spectrum exclusively and had the following plants with no problems: Cabomba, Anacharis, Hornwort, Val, Swords, Lotus, banana, onion, and many others.

A planted fancy goldfish is very possible. And with the proper water changes there are multiple possible tankmates as well.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/Goldfish/IMG_0872.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/Goldfish/IMG_1884-1.jpg

I've decided to go for the FX5. I imagine I'd have to run a pressurized CO2 to have a tank that well planted?

Fishguy2727
04-25-2010, 12:53 PM
No CO2 on any of my tanks. (Or high end lighting, special substrates, or much fertilization.)

Lady Hobbs
04-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Nice job giving your goldies a nice big tank. Goldies are the most neglected fish and so often crammed into tanks much to small for them. They will love the home you are providing for them.

Good luck with your move.

Meatloaf
04-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm so overprotective of my goldies. The power went out yesterday when I away, building the tank stand at the new house, and when I got back home I went into panic mode. Ended up spending 200 bucks at the 24/7 Walmart for a power box and power inverter to run the filters and air pump. They made it through the night though!

The tank is half done, just need to skin it, build the canopy and start cycling.

tanks4thememories
04-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm so overprotective of my goldies. The power went out yesterday when I away, building the tank stand at the new house, and when I got back home I went into panic mode. Ended up spending 200 bucks at the 24/7 Walmart for a power box and power inverter to run the filters and air pump. They made it through the night though!

The tank is half done, just need to skin it, build the canopy and start cycling.

Good thinking!!

fish00053
04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
I have a 125 and run a UGF with 3 additional air stones. In addition I also run a 205 and 405 fluval.
I'm cycling a large volume of water per hour.
UGF and Airstones increase water circulation additionally with the fluvals running.
I have carbon and other media in one canister and I run another canister without carbon. Point being made you can shut off carbon canister and still have a canister still running.
Additionally you can also change one canister at a time and still have a canister running.
Check GPH per hour on the FX5 and other canisters before you make a decision. You will probably find that (2) canisters will put out more GPH cycling than one.
Down fall of this: Cost: Maybe more, but for me it works best.
I have a tendency to go a little overboard, however, for me functionability and effeciency works best for me. Utimately you are the one that has to care for the system and use the information as a tool for you to make a good decision. There is a vast amount of knowledge on this site and use all of it to help you. Look at this site as a think tank, and you will find alot of good knowledge and ideas.:22:

tanks4thememories
04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a 125 and run a UGF with 3 additional air stones. In addition I also run a 205 and 405 fluval.
I'm cycling a large volume of water per hour.
UGF and Airstones increase water circulation additionally with the fluvals running.
I have carbon and other media in one canister and I run another canister without carbon. Point being made you can shut off carbon canister and still have a canister still running.
Additionally you can also change one canister at a time and still have a canister running.
Check GPH per hour on the FX5 and other canisters before you make a decision. You will probably find that (2) canisters will put out more GPH cycling than one.
Down fall of this: Cost: Maybe more, but for me it works best.
I have a tendency to go a little overboard, however, for me functionability and effeciency works best for me. Utimately you are the one that has to care for the system and use the information as a tool for you to make a good decision. There is a vast amount of knowledge on this site and use all of it to help you. Look at this site as a think tank, and you will find alot of good knowledge and ideas.:22:

I love UGF!! I kinda miss it since I switched to sand. Although cleaning is easier now, but I just like the concept of having my whole gravel bed as a filter...:)

Fishguy2727
04-27-2010, 02:11 AM
I never use or recommend UGFs. I think they are a hold over from when there were not much better options. I think gravel will be looked at in the same way in about ten years: old school, not the best option, and only held on to by a small percentage of the hobby.

With any other filtration with more flow, effectively all of the nitrifying bacteria will be in that other filtration because of those more favorable conditions (higher flow which provides more oxygen, ammonia, and nitrite).

Most people do not maintain UGFs well enough to avoid the almost unavoidable horrible conditions that almost all UGFs end up creating.

With SOOO many other options that are easier to maintain and easier to fix when they are neglected, I do not see the point of risking problems with UGFs.

Meatloaf
05-29-2010, 07:59 AM
All of the fish had a stress free move, all adjusted to their new home. Just waiting on some lights for this massive tank then I'll start planting it. I went with the FX5, got a great deal on it, and I have a ton of airstones to try to fight any dead zones. Might get a powerhead or something, I'll have to see.