PDA

View Full Version : creative use of plastic plants for oscar tank

jimw/oscar
04-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't have any substrate so I have to come up with creative ways to place plastic plants in my oscar's tank. Anything sitting on the bare bottom of course has to have some weighty base because an oscar will wreck havoc.

I had a bushy plastic plant originally for a reptile container which had some metal wiring at the top. I cut off some of the all plastic branches and attached them to the intake grill of one of my HOB filters.

Here's a pic

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/jimwoscar/001.jpg

This way there also will be water flow perpetually over the plastic plants providing even more surface area for potential aerobic bacteria.

rhonin
04-22-2010, 01:28 AM
BTW, what size is your Oscar?

As they get bigger, they develop their own "idea" of decorating.
Generally changing daily.... :hmm3grin2orange:

I've even had them move large driftwood and powerheads.

Till then, nice!

Northernguy
04-22-2010, 01:40 AM
It looks good! thumbs2:

I am so puzzled as to why the tank is so bare.I know its easier to clean but your fish has nothing to do.Oscars love to move stuff around and you don't want yours too.Have you given it a ping pong ball or anything to bump around.
They also love to dig and move gravel around.They love to rescape!lol

You told me about oscars diing from eating the stuff but I haven't been able to find any info on that.They are easily big enough to pass any if they do swallow it.Mine love to move mouth fulls of sand.I had gravel before.

jimw/oscar
04-22-2010, 02:02 AM
It looks good! thumbs2:

I am so puzzled as to why the tank is so bare.I know its easier to clean but your fish has nothing to do.Oscars love to move stuff around and you don't want yours too.Have you given it a ping pong ball or anything to bump around.
They also love to dig and move gravel around.They love to rescape!lol

You told me about oscars diing from eating the stuff but I haven't been able to find any info on that.They are easily big enough to pass any if they do swallow it.Mine love to move mouth fulls of sand.I had gravel before.

You can see the 'fuzzy orange ball' in the pic, that is a "Bio-orb" decoration s/he bats around. Also it's OK with me if s/he pulls the branches out of the intake grill, I can just put them back. There are other plastic plants in the tank not pictured attached to a plastic "log" which s/he drags around on occassion. This and s/he's only at about 5".

Northernguy
04-22-2010, 02:07 AM
They are fun fish!thumbs2:
Mine even try to move the granite rocks around the tank.They have had some success.They also wrestle with my driftwood.lol