PDA

View Full Version : Red cherry shrimp babies?

CGY_Betta_Guy
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I have a Fluval Edge tank which I am keeping numerous shrimps in and I recently have seen at least 2 berried red cherry shrimp. Last night I noticed one super tiny baby that is about 1.5 mm across that looks exactly like a shrimp. I also noticed that there are other tiny white specs zipping around the tank that I can not make out as shrimp like. I was thinking they could be some sort of water mite even though I have not seen water mites in my tank previously??

My question is... how small are the babies when they are born and could these tiny little white dots zipping around be RCS?? I am worried because the sponge I have on the filter uptake would definitely suck these little dots in. Its basically part of some canister filter media that I cut to size.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

korith
04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
The baby red cherry shrimp, will look like miniature versions of the adults. They will be clear in color and very hard to spot. They'll be around the size you mentioned. They'll start getting some color once they get a bit larger.

For the filter intake, you can use an aquaclear sponge. Cut a notch in it, then slide over the intake. A good side affect of doing this is the sponge will act as another source of biomedia.

Sarkazmo
04-22-2010, 01:08 AM
RCS are tiny when first hatched but not specks. This is more likely to be Seed Shrimp or Daphnia. Most likely you need to cut back on your feedings. These critters aren't harmful or any such but they are an indication that there's left over food. RCS only need fed a VERY tiny amount and only about twice a week.

Also, ditto on the AC sponge. These filter sponges are ideal for pre-filtering as they're large cell sponges that don't restrict flow much but keep RCS and babies safe.

Sark

CGY_Betta_Guy
04-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Well I have now seen 8 or so of the miniature 1.5mm shrimp... I am still puzzled by the white specs zipping about.

Correct me if I am wrong but when you say AC sponge with large cells isnt that just like the sponge media you use in a filter? I am already using a cut piece from my Fluval canister filter. I am using a Zoomed 501 canister which has a little basket on the inflow end which I stuck this little cut sponge into. Seems to be working well as I havent seen any of the little guys stuck to it but I also havent seen them swimming by it.

Seed shrimp? Are these just shrimp that are kinda like premature babies? I never noticed them previously until I noticed the mini 1.5 mm shrimp. I can sorta make out some sort of appendage on the specks that could possibly be the elongated body/tail end of a shrimp but cant say for certain.

I probably have been overfeeding the shrimp... I was dropping a fingertip pinch of Hikari shrimp cuisine into the tank daily. I will cut back and see if the specs eventually dissappear.

korith
04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Well I have now seen 8 or so of the miniature 1.5mm shrimp... I am still puzzled by the white specs zipping about.

Correct me if I am wrong but when you say AC sponge with large cells isnt that just like the sponge media you use in a filter? I am already using a cut piece from my Fluval canister filter. I am using a Zoomed 501 canister which has a little basket on the inflow end which I stuck this little cut sponge into. Seems to be working well as I havent seen any of the little guys stuck to it but I also havent seen them swimming by it.

ac sponge is just a type of media for a filter. A pack of 3 of them costs about $2, decent size. Eventually it'll turn out to be another source from where the shrimp can graze. Really anything just to obstruct the intake of the filter works, nylon mesh or any sponge.

Zoomed 501 is a great filter, I use it in one of my tanks. Very quiet and compact. Just wish it had a little bit more power.

Wild Turkey
04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
The bugs are likely water fleas, copepods or something of that nature. Its very common to see these and other bugs in shrimp tanks.

The smallest I see the hatchlings is about 1mm, not much bigger than the eggs.
When they are born they are fully capable just like the adults, no special food or anything required.

AC sponges are so porous, I wont use them on the intakes in my shrimp tanks. I use nylon socks because its cheap

Sarkazmo
04-22-2010, 04:46 PM
The porosity is why I use them. It diffuses the intake pressure over a larger area thus decreasing the pull on any small critters. They also don't get plugged up like nylon and starve the filter for water, greatly decreasing the filter's effectiveness. My RCS always were feeding on the sponges and I never had any issue with shrimp getting harmed that I could tell. Plus, after the AC sponge has been on there for a couple months, you can use the sponge to start a new tank! But we all have different ways of doing the same thing. :)

Sark

Wild Turkey
04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
IME ive never had any get stuck to the socks, I have had them get sucked into the AC sponges but thats just one mans experience.

CGY_Betta_Guy
04-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I will leave the set up as is since the RCS kids seem to be fine hangin out on the glass and the anacharis I have in the corner of the tank. Since I know they should be about the 1mm mark I wont worry about them getting stuck on the filter uptake since its really not that powerful and the sponge I put in the basket will likely do the trick. I noticed the berried female tossing more eggs in her belly so I am expecting more kids soon.

Ebi: yah I have seen the filter caps on ebay before... dont think they are really worth the money they are selling them for. I still considered it though... hehe

I also recently added red crystal shrimp and some amanos in the tank so I am hopeful the crystals will eventually breed as well. The crystals were being offered by someone locally and are very nice looking and are probably A or low S grade that she got in Singapore and had been breeding for her. Anyone have opinions on how many shrimp is too many in the 6 gallon Fluval Edge tank? I estimate I now have about 50ish shrimp all together and 90% of the cherries are juveniles and make up about 35 of that number. The tank seems to be pretty roomy still since most of the shrimp are grazing on the plants or hiding but with all the kids I am concerned they might outgrow my tank.

CGY_Betta_Guy
06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
just an update... the cutting back on food has made the little dots dissappear and unfortunatley my first batch of the little shrimp kids dissappeared... not sure what happened as there are no fish in the tank. Luckily I recently noticed 2 of my Crystal Reds and 1 of the RCS are berried so it wont be long until I have some little guys again....

Anyone know what I can do to help ensure their survival? I drop Shirakura pellets in every few days and have an indian almond leaf in the tank for the adult shrimp to munch on. Also have plenty of plants and surfaces for them to peck away at.

Is there anything I need to "feed" the baby shrimps?