PDA

View Full Version : Shubunkins

blue555
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi all, I'm new here, and will try to get to the intro soon. This is a REALLY great site. I have a question now though.

I have a goldfish pond I have built. It's about 200 gallons (6x3.5 feet) I have a DIY canister filter I made from a 5 gallon bucked and a power head. The power head is 300 gallons per hour, and it has foam filter material, mesh to catch big particles, and carbon for any polutants that might get in the water. As well as lava rock for bio media.

And I have another power head that I am using strictly to agitate the surface of the pond for oxygen. It's about 2 feet deep, a little deeper in places. I plan to use an aquarium heater in the winter, if needed. I live in southern Georgia.

My question is how many shubinkins can I put in there? I read they like to be in groups, but I know I don't have room for too many of them.

Thanks so much!

blue555
04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
This was supposed to go in the goldfish forum. Sorry about that. If a moderator sees it, please move it. Thanks!

Brhino
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
sorry, I don't know much about goldfish pond keeping. Just wanted to point out that based on your dimensions (6'x3.5'x2') your pond is actually more like 300+ gallons. Good times! If I had to guess I'd say you'd be fine with 10-12 at least, but I'll leave that to someone with more experience on the issue.

I don't believe you will need a heater. Goldfish hibernate during cold months and will survive so long as their pond doesn't get frozen solid - which I imagine is pretty unlikely in Georgia.

Scrup
04-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Well if you like to plan ahead, you are looking at probably 1.5' per fish. Shubikins are nice fish! I would stick with 6 max in a pond that size unless you upgrade the filtration. Even with 6 once they are full grown you will be cleaning out that filter a few times a week. Goldfish are poop monsters. with a better filter you could probably house a dozen I would say.

It may not look like it now, but once they are full grown, you will be glad you didn't get 50 of the "cute little goldfish".

any pics???

blue555
04-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Thanks guys! I wish it was over 300. :) But I forgot to mention it's kind of oval shaped. So the calculator I used showed about 235 gallons I think it was.

I was figuring I would have to stick with 2 or 3. It's good to know I underestimated, instead of over. I was thinking of making a bigger filter of the same type when I can afford a bigger pump to run it. I could make another 5 gal. bucket filter too for now I guess, and run 2 of them. I have another power head. Any recommendations on larger DIY filters? I saw one with a 55 gallon plastic drum somewhere but can't remember now where I saw it.

I have some pics, but I'll have to get them uploaded. I'm getting the shubunkins tomorrow. So I'll try to post pics then. It's still pretty raw right now. lol I've got some plants on the way to fill it in some.

Scrup
04-22-2010, 04:37 AM
neat one I found- http://www.runnerduck.com/pf1.htm

Just go basic if money is an issue, nothing fancy is needed. Plus you got plenty of time to get it right while they grow up.