PDA

View Full Version : Crypt Melt -- I Like it Not

Rhaethe
04-21-2010, 03:38 AM
So, around two weeks ago, I added 6 crypts to the 5 gallon. Looked great.

In the past 4 days, nearly all of them have melted away, save one.

Now, I have read where melting is typical for some crypts and that they return after a bit. Most of the time, or only some of the time, depending on what article you read.

Okay. But the question is this: Should I want the couple weeks to a month just to see if they come back ... or just chalk it up to learning about plants and plant something else in there?

SunSchein89
04-21-2010, 03:52 AM
I forget if it's the same kind of plants, but I know I've seen on aquabid that some sellers will actually trim all of the leaves off their plants because they know they will melt due to different water conditions. I'd give it some time to see if the new leaves that grow back look better. What kind of lighting/substrate/ferts are you using, though? I know crypts aren't very demanding, but it's still something that should be known to diagnose.

Rhaethe
04-21-2010, 03:58 AM
In this case, the stem of the crypts are melting as well.

I'm using 3wpg 6500k lighting, Flourish comp liquid fert as well as root tabs. Substrate is flourite black sand. It may be too much lighting according to some articles I've read. Hrm.

I'm highly tempted to just throw moss or swords in there and call it a day.

SunSchein89
04-21-2010, 04:40 AM
Ha, well yeah I would probably do that too. Still may be worth a shot to let it do it's thing for awhile and see what happens.

Rhaethe
04-21-2010, 04:45 AM
What I might do is snag a bushy java fern and/ or anubias, attach to a rock and plop in the back for the benefit of the fish.

If I see crypts re-sprouting, I'll trim out the fern.

Lady Hobbs
04-21-2010, 08:36 AM
I've moved crypts several times and also bought new ones in pots that never melted altho somewhat stunted for a time. I've heard it's the extreme changes that melt them like different lights and pH that put them into shock.

Rhaethe
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Hmmm ... that's very possible.

I had gotten the crypts from a local fish club member, and didn't think to ask about their water params ... to see if they were similar to mine, first. I also think I have a stronger current in my 5g than they have in the tank they grew them in.

I think I might look into plants that don't mind current for the 5g. The hygro I still have in there that actually grew ... stopped growing as much once it hit the current flow.

Maybe bolbitis?

Lady Hobbs
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Could be he had them in a low light setup. They're come back.

Sarkazmo
04-21-2010, 09:47 AM
It's likely that they'll spring back up. I moved my big Wentii Bronze about 6 inches, removed the plantlings and trimmed the roots. It melted. Heh, but it's coming back! Just wait a little while.

Sark

Rhaethe
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Allrighty. I can wait :) In the meantime, I'll put in some spare anubias to make the betta feel better.

Ever since the plants went away, he's been agitated and being more aggressive with his reflection.

And dang if those buggers don't dissolve in no time ... when they say crypts melt .. they really really melt!

rich311k
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
I have bought ones that completely melted. As long as the stem and roots stay healthy they should come back,

Tetris
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
It's not really the stem that you need to worry about melting, it's the rhizome.

Rhaethe
04-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Update:

Teeny tiny little leaves are already sprouting where the first ones to melt off were located. :11:

I also happened to chat with the guy who I'd gotten the crypts from, and he mentioned that those particular crypts didn't mind getting moved around, but as soon as he changed bulbs a couple days ago, they all melted. He's waiting for his to come back, now, too. :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh! And in specific, they are crypt pontederiifolia. I did some more reading, and it seems as if these guys rarely get crypt melt when getting moved about ... but really loathe changes in light intensity.

So there ya go :)

Here's a pic of them before they got snagged from the guy's tank and given to me ...

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/8798/dsc0035p.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/i/dsc0035p.jpg/)

Sarkazmo
04-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Those definitely look like healthy plants!

Sark

Rhaethe
04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
I know! And they looked so good in my 5g ... before they meltified.

Hopefully they'll look as good when they come back :ssmile: