PDA

View Full Version : Film on the water

aholmes777
04-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Hello everyone.

My friend has a problem in his tropical tank. On the surface of the water there is a milky grey colored film that looks horrible.

I too once had this on my tank, and didn't know what it was i did everything to get rid off it but in the end nothing worked and after me skimming it off every day it went away eventually. I figure it was something to do with what was in the water, too much of something, but i dunno.

Any way i was wondering what this is and why it is caused, and how to get rid off it, so i can help him out if i can.

The water params are fine, and i have told him to agitate the surface of the water to see if it goes away.

but now am lost. so any help will be great

thankyou

Johnny

rich311k
04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
It generally is proteins and oils found in foods and additives. A little surface agitation and a bit less food should solve the problem.

aholmes777
04-20-2010, 08:43 PM
ok, i knew it would be something like that. thanks Rich, i told him to get a good surface agitation going before, so it should be ok.

Northernguy
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
That film can be removed by doing a water change.
Another way is to drag an open sheet of paper towel over the surface.It takes a few sheets! lol

Mith
04-21-2010, 12:44 AM
I too have a very faint "slick" in my tank. I even aim the spraybar up to agitate the surface water but it never seems to go away. My tanks cycled so I figured that it had to be fod related. Doesn't seem to bother the fish....or at least they've never mentioned it to me lol.

Northernguy
04-21-2010, 01:39 AM
I too have a very faint "slick" in my tank. I even aim the spraybar up to agitate the surface water but it never seems to go away. My tanks cycled so I figured that it had to be fod related. Doesn't seem to bother the fish....or at least they've never mentioned it to me lol.
They don't make noises like dogs, cats and birds!:hmm3grin2orange:

Mith
04-21-2010, 01:43 AM
They don't make noises like dogs, cats and birds!:hmm3grin2orange:

And this useful info is exactly why I joined AC lol

Northernguy
04-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Its a good thing then!lol
I can imagine just what they would be saying to you!
I have to imagine it!lol That kind of talk ain't allowed on the AC!:hmm3grin2orange:

SunSchein89
04-21-2010, 03:14 AM
Just started noticing the same thing in my 10 gal planted. I must admit I overfeed a bit to make sure my dwarf frog and dwarf puffer get food since I barely ever see them eat and my betta loves to eat all the extra blood worms on the gravel so I figured this had something to do with it. It's just annoying to see after making sure everything else in the tank is going good, but I guess it's harmless. It just looks ugly/oily and gets on my nerves.

Lady Hobbs
04-21-2010, 08:53 AM
rich hit it on the head. Fish oils go into fish food. More surface movement should help.

terrapin24h
04-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I found this just last night on our mbuna tank. Turns out i'd lost a yellow lab and his decaying remain were "enriching" the biological environment of the tank. So much so that the flow of my canister filter had been reduced to almost nothing. Talk about a slime layer!. First thing i did was get dead fishy out and then clean the filter. Got it back up and running, then i did a big water change(80%) with the filter on. That stirred the tank up enough that the oil slick got broke up. With the canister running at full tilt again, the surface agitation will prevent one from reforming. I notice that my tanks don't slime as much when i'm feeding NLS foods. I dunno if it's cause they are sinking pellets or really good food, either way no slime for me. I've read that if left unchecked, theoretically, the slime coat could prevent gas exchange from happening and the O2 levels of the tank could drop. CUt back on feeding, feed better food, and shake up that water :)

--chris

aholmes777
04-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Thanks everyone, for your advice, i have told my friend about the surface agitation, and i will suggest getting better food for his tank.

once again thanks.