PDA

View Full Version : habitat for pleco

pauldonna2002
04-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi

just been to buy a pleco from our local aquarium after being told to cultivate a new tank for a week before buying a pleco, now they are saying i was told wrong last week and it is 6 months!!!! surely not:help:

Paul

Northernguy
04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

It is best to have a fully cycled tank before adding any fish.Plecos should be added to a tank that has time to get established after the cycle is finished.
I suggest you do a fishless cycle but first read the ebook that is in my sig below.
It will help you understand why a cycled tank is best to have first.

Brhino
04-20-2010, 09:52 PM
what size is your tank? What species of pleco is it? If you don't know, odds are it's going to be a common pleco, which get very big (1'-2') and require a very big tank (100 gallons+) to match. There are species that get much smaller and can be kept in medium sized tanks, but if you don't know for sure, you're probably not getting one of those.

Crispy
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
plecos need very well established tanks (especially the fancy types) because they graze on biofilm which takes a long time to grow on your decor and such. 6 months is a good period of time for this to happen and keep a healthy pleco.