PDA

View Full Version : DIY- Spray Paint Background

Drumachine09
05-20-2007, 03:22 AM
Are you tired of shelling out $10-$15+ for a solid color aquarium background? I know im not the only one who think all it is is over priced laminated paper. How would you like to be able to cover 2-3 55g tanks for 96 cents?

~MATERIALS~

1x tank to be painted
1x can of spraypaint (doesnt have to be krylon fusion, just had it in the garage)
1x sheet of plastic (i cut a plastic bag. A trashbag would also work)
1x roll of tape
1x pair of scissors
1x something to to put the tank on

~TIME~

5 minutes + drying time

~COST~

can of paint $1
trash bag $.15?
tape $1
---------------------------
total cost ~2.15

~STEP ONE~

Gather your materials

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/?action=view&current=spraypainttankdiy001.jpg

~STEP TWO~

Using the tape and the sheet of plastic, tape the plastic over the other three edges of the tank. Make sure you get the tape flush against the end, or you will get paint on unwanted sides. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN OFF THE WATER MARKS OR GUNK FIRST or you will have them behind the paint. Been there, done that, thats why that tank will be my wet/dry ;) sorry for the bad pic.

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/?action=view&current=spraypainttankdiy002.jpg

~STEP THREE~

I guess this one is optional, but if you are paronoid, like ,me, use the tape to completely cover the opening of the tank, like so:

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/?action=view&current=spraypainttankdiy003.jpg

~STEP FOUR~

Use a stand to keep your tank off of the grass (do this outside... duh) I used a 8" +- peice of I beam, covered with an old towel to prevent scratches.

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/?action=view&current=spraypainttankdiy004.jpg

~STEP FIVE~

Use the spray paint, and put on a very thin dusting of paint. Let it dry for thirty seconds. Then begin to paint the tank. sweeping motions from side to side work best. It doesnt need to be an even coat, because it will all look the same on the inside.

~STEP SIX~

Step back and admire your work. The black paint acted as a quasi mirror. Kinda cool effect. I APPROVE!

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/drumachine09/?action=view&current=spraypainttankdiy006.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to post it, or pm me, and i will be happy to help you out.

YaYgoldFish
05-20-2007, 03:34 AM
Nicely done!

cocoa_pleco
05-20-2007, 03:35 AM
great idea! i dont use backgrounds much anymore. I just have my DIY foam background on my auratus tank, but that spraypaint ones cool!

Drumachine09
05-20-2007, 03:37 AM
I Think it looks BETTER than the other ones you can buy.

I like to consider the DIY monkey

cocoa_pleco
05-20-2007, 03:39 AM
the ones you buy are a BITC* to tape on. they're rolled up so it takes 3 people to tape it, then it comes loose, then you get mad...

YaYgoldFish
05-20-2007, 04:16 AM
Ypu should make a DIY on background foam things too lol..

Drumachine09
05-20-2007, 04:19 AM
Ypu should make a DIY on background foam things too lol..

It was cocoas idea...i dont steal peoples DIYS....like cocoa....lol

Step one, cut to fit.
Step two, tape.
Step three, le fin!

LOL

YaYgoldFish
05-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Step one, cut to fit.
Step two, tape.
Step three, le fin!

LOL

Lol hm. i thought there was more to it and it's "la Fin" :wink2:

Drumachine09
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Lol hm. i thought there was more to it and it's "la Fin" :wink2:

close enough.

Lady Hobbs
05-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Looks good, tho. Hopefully the paint won't do anything to the silicone.

Drumachine09
05-21-2007, 02:59 AM
Looks good, tho. Hopefully the paint won't do anything to the silicone.

Havent had any problems with it. Neither have any of the other people ive talked to about doing this. Seems fair enough.

bscman
05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
I've painted a few tank backs/bottoms in the past.

It doesn't seem to affect the silicone at all...however, being the nature of glass...it will have a tendency to chip/flake if you aren't careful.

Another thing worth trying is simple fabric. Some cotton cloth will work great, too...And you can usually find more than enough solid black cloth at your local fabric store in the remnants/scrap pile for cheap ($0.50 a yard or less). A yard will easily do 3-4 30 gallon tanks...

Algenco
05-22-2007, 11:27 PM
I always used flat black latex and brushed it on

TazManiac
11-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Would people recommend matte or gloss spray paint for a black background?

Northernguy
11-15-2008, 03:25 PM
You want a flat black background.Gloss gives off too much of a reflection and confuses your fish.

DrNic
11-15-2008, 11:03 PM
That's a great idea! If you look around to find the right paint you can probably even do it as a full mirror background which would look cool as well.

To bad its hard to do in tanks that are already running ;)

Wiggs
11-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Wow, thanks for the great info!

I'm debating on what I want to do with my Bowfront. Since it's my first tank and I'm not too handy, I'm a little hesitant with painting it. I go have a small terrarium I used to keep frogs in, I may practice on that, even though its Acrylic.

I LOVE the outcome, and would like to have my tank looking like that.

TazManiac
11-16-2008, 07:29 AM
I figure that because it's the 'inside' of the paint coat that it doesn't really matter how handy you are because as long as you have every bit painted, it doesn't matter about runs or anything like that.

Northernguy
11-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Try getting some flat black bristol board.The stuff kids use for school projects.It works great and is a lot less messy than paint.With a mirror image you may stress your fish right out.They will also be swimming into the glass steady.

reptile dude007
11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Just a little place you can save money is if you use news paper insted of plastic :). Also You can save some money on spray paint get the kind with the words SPRAY PAINT on it. It is only $.69

TazManiac
12-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Does anyone ever paint the side panels of the tank as well?

I think I am going to have algae problems with my tank when I get it set up as it is going next to a sunny west facing window (think east facing if you are from the northern end of the globe) so it gets a lot of sun in the afternoon.

I was thinking I could paint the back and sides to give it a bit more protection.

Let me know what you all think.

Aaron

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
This is an old thread but fine to bring it back to life because the topic continues to return.

I have painted 3 sides. If the tank sits on a shelf where only the front is viewable or if it's a breeding tank, it works fine and looks fine. I also had a small tank I siliconed the heck out of the back and sides and added fish tank gravel to it. I used a heavier stone, tho, and it would have worked better with finer stone.

I've also seen the DIY foam backgrounds done on three sides of the tank but that didn't appeal to me much. Altho it looked nice, it took up a lot of room in the tank.

TazManiac
12-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks Lady Hobbs. I realise that this is an old thread but as you said I thought it was better than starting a new thread.

Glad to be reassured before I get the spray paint out. It is currently sitting between a wall and the window so the side that faces the window is the only side that would be able to be seen apart from the front of the tank.

Will get it sorted after this Christmas thing goes away again this year.

Aaron

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 12:30 PM
LOLOL I just wanted to get it out there that this was an old thread before cocoa_pleco saw this and posted

old thread!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Heck, I painted mine with satin black water-based paint and a brush after cleaning the outside with rubbing alcohol. I didn't want to work at it too hard, ya know? It took maybe 4 coats but it stayed on well. Probably the second two coats was to fill in brush marks.

Algenco
12-23-2008, 02:20 PM
LOLOL I just wanted to get it out there that this was an old thread before cocoa_pleco saw this and posted

old thread!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Heck, I painted mine with satin black water-based paint and a brush after cleaning the outside with rubbing alcohol. I didn't want to work at it too hard, ya know? It took maybe 4 coats but it stayed on well. Probably the second two coats was to fill in brush marks.

I use a brush, much less hassle, I use 2 coats
If you use latex paint you don't even have to take the fish out

cocoa_pleco
12-23-2008, 03:16 PM

im 3 hours too late! dam!

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM
LOL I knew you'd see that!

Algenco
12-23-2008, 04:13 PM
im 3 hours too late! dam!

slooooooow!! :hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
lol, hobbs posted it 530am my time, and i wasnt up til 730 to go to work

DragonWatch
12-27-2008, 10:08 PM
I did a similar project recently, but I think I'll start my own thread for it here in DIY. Keep your eyes peeled.

TazManiac
12-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I painted mine a few days ago and it looks HOT...! I love it. Can't wait to get some sand and stuff in there to see how it looks properly. Should look great with fish. Just need to find some ammonia here in Tasmania, Australia. Very hard to find by the looks of it.