PDA

View Full Version : Duckweed solution

Scrup
04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
so, I have duckweed. Lots of it. Once a week I have to remove close to a gallon of it from my 225G or the tank gets too dark and the other plants start to wilt. The apple snails love it, but it grows faster than they can eat it.

The other day, I noticed my big pleco up near the top, and he was sucking in a few peices of it. Just a few. Then a few more.

Woke up this morning, and the duckweed has been demolished, and the pleco is on the bottom with an unusually fat belly.

There is just a tiny bit left in places he cant get to it. The night before it was a solid coat.

thumbs2:

funny too, I was planning on trying to get it all out this weekend. the misses is getting tired of having to scrub it off of everything. Looks like the pleco was listening in on that conversation.:hmm3grin2orange:

Gotta get some before/after pics up to show you, I just still can't believe he ate all of it.

Taurus
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
He gonna look like this poop monster:

http://www.bowfinanglers.com/images/nickv_pleco_072806.jpg

Wild Turkey
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Thats neat. I wouldnt have guessed the pleco would be interested. His poop will be really green lol

Goldfish work for this purpose as well

Scrup
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
My goldfish have yet to take interest in duckweed sadly. I was hoping that I would be able to dump it in their pond, but it just ends up covering the top and making them hard to feed.