PDA

View Full Version : setting a 10g Betta tank.

abrar90
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
hi everyone ill be soon setting a 10g Betta tank. So I was like what are the basic necessary things required.
What filter,which plants,gravels,heater etc.....
Please let your suggestions come in.
Ill be keeping a single Betta as for now.

Northernguy
04-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Most tanks need a heater and filter!An AC20 is good filter for a 10gal tank.
Plants are great in a betta tank depending on your lighting.Low light plants are easy.
Only one betta per tank.

rich311k
04-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I use an AC 20, a 50 watt heater and low light plants. I have two screw in CF bulbs for lighting. I love my betta tanks.

korith
04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
A basic setup a heater, small hang on back filter, and a hood. Type of gravel really depends on what you like. If you go with live plants, a substrate like ecocomplete works well to provide nutrients. The basic lighting in a 10g hood light should be enough for mid to low level light plants. Bettas can jump out, so a hood would be a really good idea. If you have problems with the flow in the filter being too much for the betta you can make a flow diffuser fairly easily, or just overstuff the filter with media to slow it down.

abrar90
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
my tank is home made which is 22 inches in length and the hood is of a 2 feet long tank...there is a gap of 3 inch.. will the betta jump out of that gap??
i have my old fine gravels...about 1-1.5mm in size.. but they were very difficult to clean...should i go for something else??

korith
04-21-2010, 12:08 AM
my tank is home made which is 22 inches in length and the hood is of a 2 feet long tank...there is a gap of 3 inch.. will the betta jump out of that gap??
i have my old fine gravels...about 1-1.5mm in size.. but they were very difficult to clean...should i go for something else??

You can probably find a piece of plastic or cut a small piece of acrylic to fit the gap. They do manage to jump out of the smallest gaps sometimes. Gravel should be fine, just rinse it a few times. Easy way is to put some in a bucket and jam the garden hose into it and swirl it around. The smaller particles should run out of the bucket. What kind of substrate you use is really up to you, what you like.

Don't forget about a background. A simple black background can really make the fish pop out a bit more visually.

allen
04-21-2010, 05:07 AM
:22: Hi,

You have done well so far. Yes, it is better to start with a single betta first. I hope you know the basics of keeping a betta fish.

abrar90
04-21-2010, 02:08 PM
hey how is Boyu sp 1000a filter or taiyo air pumps and amazon xl 700 heater...these are available at my local petstore....they i.e. Petstore person told that a single Betta in a 10g tank doesn't require filter or heater...

Northernguy
04-21-2010, 02:42 PM
hey how is Boyu sp 1000a filter or taiyo air pumps and amazon xl 700 heater...these are available at my local petstore....they i.e. Petstore person told that a single Betta in a 10g tank doesn't require filter or heater...

You really should find a more knowledgable store to shop at!
Please stick with one thread.You have 3 or 4 threads on the go right now asking the same questions in each.
The only reason I said to do large water changes is because you have no filter and no test kit!
The filter you are asking about is powerhead with a filter attachment and it would cause too much current in the tank for the betta.

Where are you that you cannot get an aqua clear filter?

abrar90
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
o.0 sorry I was just thinking are there other filters which are similar to the of ac20 so that I can have variety.

Northernguy
04-21-2010, 04:33 PM
You could easily set up a canister filter.

What part of he world are in?
It may make it easier for a member in your area to suggest something that is available.

abrar90
04-21-2010, 04:35 PM
hmm i stay in India in maharashtra state ,pune city.....the boyu cant be modified??

abrar90
04-21-2010, 05:38 PM
hmm is this the one you talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/aqua-clear-filter-insert-biomax-filter-insert-5-20-gal-/150396850167?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230459cff7

or could you please give the link.

abrar90
06-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Can anyone suggest possible tankmates for betta?? I heard some tetra's are not suitable....