PDA

View Full Version : Gibicepps problem - fungal flesh problem?

AquaB
04-20-2010, 06:50 AM
HI,

I have just recently purchased a juvinile gibecepps plec. i have had him just over a week. my tank has only just matured but the lad in the shop tested my water and said all was good exept a minute trace of nitrate. and my ph was a tad high (8)

any way, i have noticed that my new plec has greeny blotchy patches on one side of his back. very cloudy looking blobs, almost like fungus?

it isnt there all the time, just comes out for a while a day!!?

ive also noticed this kid can poo for mankind!! is this normal? i remember my dad having a commom plec when i was a kid and his one did poo alot!?

i didnt think much of the excessive pooing as he was introduced to a fair bit of new tank algae so i thought he was just having a field day, but now i am concerned.

Lady Hobbs
04-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Sounds more like color pigmentation than fungus because fungus doesn't come and go daily. Nitrates up to 20 are fine.

And yes, pleco's are poop machines, grow very large and not suitable for smaller aquariums. Don't use pH adjusters. They will adapt.

bob saget
04-20-2010, 08:09 AM
If you are talking about a sailfin, yes, I have experienced this also. He gets white splotches on his back, almost looking like scratches, but it has been like this for 3+ months, he is very healthy and eating well. It's just I think how their color changes. I would not be worried unless you actually see him being stressed out or something.
yes, they poo alot, so make sure you clean that tank :)
also, i think I read on here that when the pleco is right up against the glass, and he has a chubby belly, this means he is healthy.

AquaB
04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
thanks, this has put my mind at rest.

i do need to change my ph though and i understand that stability is better than trying to keep on top of this. but my plan is to start using rain water when i do water changes and rain water should be ph7 right?

with this in mind as long as i only use rain water or ro water when its dry i should be safe!?

my target is ph7 so i can introduce rams etc.

thanks again people of aqua land!!

Alex