PDA

View Full Version : Algae on Cabomba

domjd05
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I was away for the weekend, and when I left my tank, everything was in harmony...

I bought a UV sterilizer a few weeks ago to get rid of a rampant green water issue that I just could not deal with any other way (short of never giving my plants any light..)

The uv sterilizer worked great, couldn't be happier with it!

However, when I returned home yesterday evening my cabomba plants had developed a dark green algae on it that seems to be killing it. It looks like some vals that I had next to the cabomba had melted, and turned to a brown mush like cloud.. and some of that seems to have also spread onto the cabomba...

These plants were doing great before this, they were growing almost an inch or more a week... now I'm afraid they may die... I can post pics later if it helps..

Any suggestions?

note* I immediately did a 30% water change when I got home and tried to remove some of the algae by hand.. which really didn't work well..

rich311k
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
It is dark green and hard top get off? it is not hairy at all? Sounds like green spot. Is it on the older parts of the plant?

Did you move the vals or start adding excel?

domjd05
04-19-2010, 01:41 PM
It is on the older parts of the plants, I have removed the affected vals. I do not use excel but I did use roughly a 1/3rd dose of flourish comp before I left. However I've never noticed this before during previous doses of flourish. It is not hairy, it is dark green, and its difficult to remove.