PDA

View Full Version : Growing Riccia

TheHamr
04-19-2010, 03:26 AM
Hello all,

This is my first post as I'm new to the forum. Any help you all can provide would be much appreciated!

I am looking to grow some riccia. I have a 10 gallon tank with hood and a 6500K flourescent strip. I am trying to determine what else I will need to grow this plant, both successfully and semi quickly if at all possible (speed is less important then cost of equipment however). My plan is to fill the tank, drop a small amount of riccia on the surface and add the hood with light. Will this suffice or will I need some form of filtration, an air line, any ferts, etc. Should I use tap water with some type of water treatment or should I use distilled or spring water? I am trying to do this with the least amount of equipment and expense however I don't want to kill the riccia either. I use it for planted terrariums (terrestrial growth) and am looking for a way to get more of this plant faster, as it's kind of hard to find and expensive for the amounts I need.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you can provide.

Aaron

Jacko
04-19-2010, 04:30 AM
Your plan sounds fine, to up the speed of growth I'd add some fertalizers, either go with dry ferts (Estimative index) or the Seachem line (flourish and trace should be enough) you won't need co2 since you're keeping it floating...

Best of luck and hope it works out for you, and it'll likely melt off when you first put it in the terrarium, then regrow in an emersed form IME

korith
04-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Too much excel can mess up the riccia. With decent lighting it should do well. Sometimes if it gets too dense, the parts not getting enough light will start to brown. So I find it sometimes useful to flip the riccia over or break it up a bit once it gets too thick.

Jacko
04-19-2010, 05:47 AM
I wouldn't bother with excel, it's meant to be used as a co2 replacement or in conjunction with co2, seems pointless on something that's going to be getting plenty of co2 from the portion growing above the surface.

Flipping it over or breaking it up would be great, I'd go for breaking it up over just flipping it, gonna make more mats that'll grow faster that way which is what you're trying for.

dredd23
07-16-2010, 06:08 PM
riccia growns in anything spreads like a weed