PDA

View Full Version : Please try to talk me out of this!

HeatherB
04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
After seeing all these nice betta setups, it is making me want SO badly to go get another tank divider and set up a 10 gal. tank for some of my bettas.

I've got:

5g. Sunset colored Veintail Male
20g. Red Female
2.5g. White/Red Halfmoon Male
2.5 g. Orange Veintail
2.5g Blue/Green Crowntail
1g. Black/Grey Crowntail

In reality, I would have to check on my filter situation, but I THINK I have enough HOB filters to have two running(one on each side) and I've got about 25lbs. of natural colored gravel sitting in a bucket... If i reduce some of the smaller tanks, I'd have enough heaters to go in another 10 gal. tank. Lord knows I've got decor and plants out the ying yang....

But I have nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE to put a 10 gal. tank, except maybe on top of my dorm size fridge, but that would be a little high for water changes... my desk maybe, but I already have a 2.5g and the 5g there. The bookcase is not large enough. The dresser has a bird cage on it and I can't find a new home for the cockatiels so it has to stay there. And no empty wall space to get a stand for it either.

Thanks for listening to my rant. Any ideas?
It's one of those things, like, you keep thinking about it b/c you can't get it out of your head until you do it? UGH!!

Rue
04-18-2010, 10:43 PM
I can help you with that...:14:

I hate tank dividers...they impede water flow and are hard to clean...:hmm3grin2orange:

Zilla
04-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Heather- If it were somebody else, I may try to pull them over to the other side, but you're smarter than that. If you're that determined, you will find a way. With that being said, I'll throw this at you.

Instead of setting up another tank which you admit that you don't have room for, how about taking bits and pieces of the set ups that you've seen and liked, and incorporate them into the tanks you already have?

I'm always on the hunt for inspiration tanks and stalk sites often that have all kinds of tank set ups. I ignore all the mechanical details as both of my tanks are low tech. If somebody had a gold plated filter, it means nothing to me, not to mention it would be really tacky but I digress.

For me, it's all in the little details that make a tank interesting. It could be something simple like the choice of plant placement or a odd decoration that is used. On one of my many trips around the net just looking at tanks, somebody had a "No fishing" sign in their Betta tank. I liked it, so I added to my 20 gallon. Other than the fact that I also have a Betta, the tank I saw and mine have nothing else in common.

Sometimes all that is needed is a change and it doesn't have to be a big change or a major overhaul.

Good luck with whatever you decide. =)

HeatherB
04-19-2010, 02:57 AM
I tried buying some new plants, I even recently set up the the 5g. trying to get my itch out. It's just not helping!!

EmmanuelJB
04-19-2010, 03:00 AM
Don't do it! (Thats all I got lol)

HeatherB
04-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Well, see, I was thinking I could take the 5g and move it to the bookcase, set up a 10 gal. on my desk, and put the black crowntail and the white halfmoon in there. Then uh... the 5g would keep it's inhabitants. Thats all I got. That would reduce my uh...6 tanks to 5. That's better right???

Mith
04-19-2010, 03:39 AM
If you're open to a different tank, I'm really happy with my 6g tank! Currently its divided into 3 sections but has the capability of dividing into 6 sections! If u haven't already, you can take a gander at my thread where I modified the above tank with one small filter and one small heater with plenty of full tank circulation.

Almost forgot.....it sits on a shelf on the wall!

Scrup
04-19-2010, 03:41 AM
Could always get a double tank stand.

https://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3732+9883&pcatid=9883

I mean..dont do it!

jimw/oscar
04-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Well, see, I was thinking I could take the 5g and move it to the bookcase, set up a 10 gal. on my desk, and put the black crowntail and the white halfmoon in there. Then uh... the 5g would keep it's inhabitants. Thats all I got. That would reduce my uh...6 tanks to 5. That's better right???

I had a 10 gallon on top of a bookshelf once, the filter malfunctioned pouring water down the back of the bookshelf onto my books.

That was back in my crazy days when I even had a 5 gallon on a small stand sitting on the landing of my stairs (there was a plug there eh).

Lady Hobbs
04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I think you answered your own question, Heather. You don't have room for another tank right now.

i_am_511
04-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Simple..dont do it....thumbs2:

HeatherH
04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm going with what Zilla suggested.

Take what you've got and create a masterpiece. thumbs2:

HeatherB
04-26-2010, 11:32 AM
haha I did it! I took an empty 10g. and divided it into three sections. Now I have only two tanks up and running!

I used #7 mesh and poster hangers- but Clyde, my betta, kept visiting his tankmates, so I am going to have to take the bettas out, drain it, and silicone the posterhangers to the side so he can't get between them and the glass. (seriously- it's less than a 1/4 inch, so how he can squeeze his big body thru it, I'm at a loss!)

I'll post up pics when I get it all siliconed!