PDA

View Full Version : help identifing my stingrays...

krzesinskag
05-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I brought these 2 fresh water stingrays about 8 months ago as motoro rays but they quite obviously aren't, the only problem is i dont know what they actually are!! ive not found anything that looks like them. also, im not sure if they are male or female, (they are both the same sex) and if they are both male will they fight when they are mature? they both have little 'foot' like fins by their tail are these the claspers? as i thought the claspers had a longer part to them (like salt water rays).
p.s. sorry the second pic is a little yellow my cam went funny the 3rd pic is a bigger version of the first one but its a little blury

Drumachine09
05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Cant help you, but i must say, your rays are pretty dang sweet looking!

Welcome to the A.C.!

sergo
05-19-2007, 09:00 PM
i wish i could help but i can't so i'll just welcome you aboard. i'm not too sure how people on here actually have rays but hopefully someone can help.

Fishguy2727
05-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Clearer pictures from above would help with idenitification. Where did you get them from? (LFS, online, etc.) How much were they? What size are they now?

The claspers on fw rays are about the same as on sw rays. They can actually be visible from above if you look at the right angle. Basically the pelvic fins have a fleshy, rod-like extension out the back end of them. The claspers lie against the base of the tail.

What size tank? What filtration? What water change schedule? pH? What are you feeding? What tankmates, if any?

krzesinskag
05-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Clearer pictures from above would help with idenitification. Where did you get them from? (LFS, online, etc.) How much were they? What size are they now?

The claspers on fw rays are about the same as on sw rays. They can actually be visible from above if you look at the right angle. Basically the pelvic fins have a fleshy, rod-like extension out the back end of them. The claspers lie against the base of the tail.

What size tank? What filtration? What water change schedule? pH? What are you feeding? What tankmates, if any?
ok you didn't answer a single question.. and just asked me loads more! hopefully if i answer them you'll be able to help.
they are the only pics i have at the mo, they dont really sit still so its hard to get a really good pic. i had them from a pet shop, they sell all sorts of fish both freash water and marine. they cost us £100 each but they had been reduced from £150 each. they are have grow quite a bit since we had them they are about 25cm across at the mo and about 40cm 'nose' to tail tip.
i know they were captive bred and are use to the water pH they are in about 7. it has a large external filter with a power head (its supose to filter twices as much as we need), 2 large air pumps. we do a 20% water change every week. we feed them blood worm, both frozen and live, lance fish, occasionaly cockels though they dont seem to like them much, and some brine shrimp. in with them we have a young pink tailed shark (cigar shark) hes about 6 inches long, 2 young silver arowaras (sp) which are about 8 inches long, a red rainbow fish, a 3 spot gourami, a severum a younge gibby pelc its about 6 inches long and a large apple snail.
they are all gettin on very well and weve had no problems, the rays are eating well and are very active as are all the other fish, we have a few rocks and plants in the tank as well.
before you tell me i know alot of the fish we have are ging to get alot bigger and it is our plan to build a large indoor pond with filtration etc for the to live in. i have keep fish for about 5 years and have kept both tropical and marine and i always try and do alot of reading up before i get anythin new, but sadly there isnt alot of information about rays.

YaYgoldFish
05-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Woah thats impressive, how many gallons is your aquarium? ( Ive always been curious about rays..)

krzesinskag
05-20-2007, 12:03 AM
its about 140 uk gallons or 170 us gallons (god knows what the difference is but i just had to work it out on a calaulator thing coz i could only remember the mesurments and it gave me us and uk gallons....) or about 625 liters

YaYgoldFish
05-20-2007, 04:27 AM
I think you have the biggest aquarium on this site lol..its very impressive!

cocoa_pleco
05-20-2007, 04:45 AM
nope. tracyuk has a 187G

YaYgoldFish
05-20-2007, 04:46 AM
ohh i thougfht it was 120..

cocoa_pleco
05-20-2007, 04:47 AM
nope!!!

cant wait for my 300g

krzesinskag
05-20-2007, 09:25 AM
hehe it should be it cost £250!! thats without and filters of heaters which we had to buy seperatly. the filter cost £50 its a fluval 405 external and we hav 2 heaters one main one and a backup just in case :) and the the air pumps with 2 8 inch air stones. Im still no closer to finding out what type of ray they are, its so puzzling.

Fishguy2727
05-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Fluval 405s do 'up to' 100 gallons. That means they can really handle about 50 gallons. For a 170 with your bioload I would probably have 2 Fluval FX5s. What are your nitrate readings?

Have you looked online for any books on them? I have one from Barron's. There is an Aqualog book on them that is supposed to have a lot of good pics for identification. Fishbookstore.com has one. I think there are actually two different books that include them.

Sexing should be pretty easy and straight forward as soon as they go up the front glass. Just look for that pair of fleshy claspers at the base of the tail.

I would change the diet. Live foods pose a great risk of introducing parasites and diseases. They are also nutritionally incomplete and can increase aggression levels. The best way to feed would be to get a bowl and stick it in the bottom of the tank. Then use an under gravel filter riser tube to put the food right in the bowl. They will learn real quick what that tube going to that bowl means. Once they start associating the bowl with food, it should be very easy to switch them over to a better diet. I would try and get them on New Life Spectrum if it is available to you. Otherwise Hikari makes very good bottom feeding carnivore diets. I would at least cut out the live foods and stick with frozen, but including or switching to a diet with high quality pellets would be best.

The best way to get good pics of rays is to stick them in a shallow plastic container. This may be a consideration for you. Otherwise just something that shows their pattern really well will be helpful. You may also want to browse through other forums with active rays sections for pics. Two of the best may be monsterfishkeepers.com and aquaticpredators.com.

krzesinskag
05-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Ok 1, i asked for help with identification not keeping (but thanks for the help), 2 they are mostly on frozen foods! the lance fish and cockles are frozen as is most of the bloodworm and brineshrimp they have.. the live food we give them is a few blood worms and sometimes brineshrimp and its just to give them some stimulation and maintain thier sand filtering activites, and its all captive bred and shop brought so its fine. neither of the food you've named are availble to me, they probably dont have them in the uk or my locals shops just dont stock it, and they dont like pellets, they just spit them out. they are a healthy weight and aren't agressive at all. the nitate readings are 0, we moniter them very closely, chock and chip are just as important to us as our dogs etc they are part of the family. when we got the tank and explained what we were having in there to our lfs they said because of how few fish we were having we should be more than fine with the filter they gave us (the 405) but mind you from their lack of knowlage about the rays it doesnt suprise me that they messed it up! i thought i checked the box but i think i must have read the liters as gallons (im dyslexic so i have a habbit of reading things backwards), but as i said weve had no problems and keep an eye on all the levels in the water very closely though it may be an idea for us to get another.
i have figgered from what you've said that they are both female which was what i had origionaly thought but reading about it had confused me.
as for the picture i really dont think is gonna be a good idea stressing them out by moving them around and putting them into a little container as they aren't too happy about being handled, plus id rather not get stung :). they dont really have much in the way of markings, they are pretty much all brown with darker brown speckels near the edges of their disks with dark almost black stripes down the sides of their tails.
the only book ive managed to get doesnt really have much on identification and ive search the net loads of times and have found nothing that really looks like them.

Fishguy2727
05-21-2007, 07:42 PM
With that stocking level and water change schedule there should be some nitrates.

Live foods from whatever source pose a risk. Some types of live foods and their breeding and holding conditions can greatly reduce that risk. However, there is still a risk. I personally have found that risk to be too much to risk the lives of my animals, especially when they are not needed and better diets are available. What pellets have you tried? Those foods may be available online or by request form the LFS.

I do not mean force anything on anyone, but I do want people to be aware of some things that can help them with their animal keeping practices. There is a lot of info out there and lots of it is very conflicting and it only takes one person to convince someone of the wrong info. I just want to help people take the best care of their animals as possible, even if it means changing a lot of what they are doing now and have heard is fine.

Filtration is a tricky subject, made worse by the companies tending to uptalk their own filters. This usually comes down to overrated tank size estimates. I usually cut whatever they claim to handle in half. From there many of my tanks get more than that. With your stocking level and sensitive fish (at least the rays) you can't have too much filtration. Fluvals are good though. Those are what all of my canisters are.

bluefish101
06-06-2007, 05:04 AM
go to http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/wild/sting_rays.htm#top2 thats where i got some of my info but it is sometimes wrong so double check