PDA

View Full Version : RSugelSr's 210 Project

RSugelSr
04-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Hello Folks,

Introducing my 210g tank project. I picked up the tank used off of craigslist for a steal. It was previously set up as a reef tank and I am going to use it for a S.A. fresh tank. Had a couple of weeks of cleaning the barnacles off and have the stand built (the original stand was too tall 42"). My stand is 24" tall. The stand frame is 2x4 construction topped with 3/4 inch plywood and 1/2 inch Tuff R foam insulation board. The sides and front will be 1/2 inch plywood painted to match the walls to give an appearance of being a built-in.

Mechanicals, filtration and heat, will be housed on the other side of the wall under the basement staircase. Waiting on the filtration to arrive before I punch through the wall for hoses. The filtration will be an AquaPro 400 sump from SeaLife Systems with two Mag 12's for return and an Eheim Pro 3 2080. The Eheim return will be plumbed through a CO2 reactor to provide for the live plants. Four Jager heaters controlled by an ETC temperature controller will be in the sump.

Planned population for this tank are a dozen discus, a dozen angels, a dozen rams, assorted tetras, cories and plecos.

Only have a picture of the stand but more to follow.

WhiteDevil
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
I got your back Pops.

here is the album to the build
http://tinypic.com/a/1yvzb/1

Welcome aboard dad, glad to have you back in fish.

got a line on two 300g tanks in LITH as well. I am sure I can get rid of the couch before the wife gets home.

RSugelSr
04-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Received the remainder of the mechanicals, filters and lighting, yesterday. This will be a busy weekend. Plan to have the tank set up with H2O by Sunday evening.

In the meantime I will be placing the Eheim on one of my established tanks to get it "seeded", hoping to cut down the cycling time of the main tank.

Speaking of cycling, I've been doing a lot of reading on the various methods in use today. Not like it was 30+ years back when you filled a tank, let it run for a day to gas-off chlorine and pile in the fish. I am leaning towards using the fishless method with fishfood. Fishfood adding will start as soon as the tank is filled with H2O. I looked at the ammonia method but am shying away from it for a couple of reasons; 1) I have never done it before and 2) I am chemical-adverse, not only with fish but with everything (drive my doctors nuts with the amount of explaining they have to do before I'll take a prescription).

My local water district doesn't use chlorimines and the tank will be filled with RO. Running the Eheim on an established tank for a week should get it good and seeded, then switching to the main tank should provide the seed bacteria for the wet/dry. I will also shift my driftwood centerpiece to the tank when the filter is switched. It's been in an established tank for the past month. Hoping to cut my cycle time down to a couple of weeks.

Northernguy
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
With a tank that size you could add the cycled Eheim to it and a few fish an hour later.The large amount of water will keep the toxins from the ammmonia and nitrites down to a safe enough level.You will still have to monitor your perameters and do your water changes but it will be an easy tank get cycled.

Red
04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Very nice build there, good luck. Welcome too :)

WhiteDevil
04-22-2010, 07:43 PM
With a tank that size you could add the cycled Eheim to it and a few fish an hour later.The large amount of water will keep the toxins from the ammmonia and nitrites down to a safe enough level.You will still have to monitor your perameters and do your water changes but it will be an easy tank get cycled.

I am thinking of adding all the tetras first, close to 50 maybe 60 before the angels,discus and banjo's. The eheim is on my 52(pic will come later when I get off me duff) currently and already out of the box, 45 minute set up time from start to finish, all in all awesome filter, no leaks, nothing but power. TONS of media in it.
the angels have learned to hang around the inlets already for a easy snack.

The albums will be updated this evening at some point.

RSugelSr
04-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Got the tank moved from the garage to the basement this weekend. After placing the tank on the stand, checked the stand for plumb and found it to have shifted a 1/16 inch. Brought in the clamps and squared up the stand, adding cross-bracing left/right and front/back. Leveled everything out (never knew my basement floor was so uneven) and filled with tap H2O to ensure we didn't pop a seam in the move. Piping is run to filtration in adjacent room.

Next steps:

Test wet/dry filtration
Drain tap water
Clean and place substrate
Begin filling with RO (my 25gpd unit will make this a week long process)

hockeyhead019
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
that is awesome!!! I love your stocking ideas too.... this is without a doubt my goal one day when i move out and have the room and money to do so (as i'm still in college and under the parent's roof) lol

please keep updated as this seems like an awesome project

WhiteDevil
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
we are just inches away from being completely plumbed up. ran out of teflon tape so I will go later and get some and finish it off tomorrow.

got 60 pounds of gravel in already, pending when we get the new RO unit and holding tank will depend on how long till its filled.

WhiteDevil
04-29-2010, 01:01 AM
http://tinypic.com/a/1yvzb/1

going good so far, need to hook up Co2 and the eheim and wait for 210g of RO to be produced, first 45g is going in right now.

WhiteDevil
04-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Pics updated.

eheim,Co2 get hooked up in the morning, driftwood and plants are going in, getting filled with tap for a few days to break things in, completely drain it and add RO sometime next week.

Thats only 7 of 8 bulbs, one was broken in the box:scry: , I got a weird bump on my neck after building the side framing for the Cube QT tank working under those lights.:help: