PDA

View Full Version : Good Beginner Predator

tori.lock
04-18-2010, 06:31 AM
I've always loved predatory fish and I really want to set up a predatory tank sometime soon. Since I'm moving back home for at least another year I'd like to get one going. I'm really open to most ideas, and would like to do a specimen tank, or a species only tank. I have no tank yet, and so I think I want to see if I can build a tank around a fish. Obviously if I can't get a tank of a certain size I can change my fish idea, but all that aside, what are some good beginner predatory fish? I love the look of more prehistoric fish and oddball fish if that helps narrow it down at all.

Irish2539
04-18-2010, 09:34 AM
mmm I think a tank with rope fish and bichirs (senegalus-small, Ornate-big) looks great and very easy to keep. u can also keep fish with them that dont fit in their mouth.

What tank size are u getting?

Some dwarf Snakeheads/Channa are very easy to keep in a species tank. but if u live in America their illegal.

Spiney Eel are great but not really beginner predator fish.

clown knife fish is a great looking fish.

Id recommend Bichirs. they are prehistoric fish. they also r pretty friendly, Rope are also pretty friendly mine slither through my fingers at feeding time.

tori.lock
04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm not sure on the tank, I'm going to see what I can get on craigslist, but I just want to start rolling some ideas around in my head for fish, then see if I can get a tank to fit.

I was actually thinking about bichirs, I love the way they look, and rope fish are pretty cool looking too. I think I'll do some research on them and see if they'll be a good fit.

Unfortunately I do live in the US were they're illegal, but I was thinking if I wanted a snakehead-like fish I could find a bowfin, which is pretty similar I hear.

From what I hear about spiny eels I'd be a little nervous since they're finicky eaters, and I've heard ghost knife fish aren't the best beginner fish, but I'll read up a little more. They are pretty neat looking fish, but they might get a little too big for what I can house.

smaug
04-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Leopard bush fish.They will eat peller foods as well as anything they can stuff in there big mouths.Not especially water quality sensitive or shy.Mine is very outgoing and seldom hides.They get 6" at the most and a 55 gal tank is perfect for them.South american leaf fish are also interesting but are a bit more picky for water quality and hiding spots.The size is about the same but they are really a live food only predator with some exceptions of cource.Nandus leaf fish are also intersting but are almost exclusively live food eaters and are very shy.

Aeonflame
04-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Wolf fish are pretty cool and easy to keep. Not very active though.. but when you feed them... nothing beats that strike.

Crispy
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
pike cichlids or bowfin are very similar to snakeheads.

tori.lock
04-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Any advice on caring for bowfin? I looked online briefly and most of what I read was about fishing them.

Red
04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
What size tank? I would first get your tank before you start looking at fish.

Jacko
04-19-2010, 09:42 PM
What size tank? I would first get your tank before you start looking at fish.

Couldn't agree more, I would find the max size tank you could get before you plan on getting any fish... some species are gonna be cramped in anything under 200 gallons.

Also, what type of predator do you want? There're ambush predators like leaf fish and wolf fish or ones that actively hunt down anything you put in there...
One of my favorite predators are spotted pike characins thumbs2:

tanks4thememories
04-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I've always loved predatory fish and I really want to set up a predatory tank sometime soon. Since I'm moving back home for at least another year I'd like to get one going. I'm really open to most ideas, and would like to do a specimen tank, or a species only tank. I have no tank yet, and so I think I want to see if I can build a tank around a fish. Obviously if I can't get a tank of a certain size I can change my fish idea, but all that aside, what are some good beginner predatory fish? I love the look of more prehistoric fish and oddball fish if that helps narrow it down at all.

Need to make sure you have a large tank but my favs are birchirs (Some pics of my birchirs- The first 2 I still have).
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4535327331_4d920b6acd.jpg
Polypterus delhezi
Scientific name: Polypterus delhezi (Boulenger, 1899)
Common name(s): Armoured bichir, banded bichir
Origin: Central Africa: Congo river, Upper and middle Congo
Max reported size (TL): 350mm (14")
Description: The upper surface is greyish, with hints of green or yellowish colouration. The ventral surface is a uniform lighter colour. There are 7-8 dark vertical bands which vary in thickness between individuals. 10-13 dorsal finlets. The mouth is relatively small for the fish's size.
Comments: This bichir is quite commonly available. Captive-bred fish are available in the trade, but many seem to lack the more intense markings of wild-caught fish.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2796/4535574618_43d0be45eb_m.jpg
Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri
Scientific name: Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri (Heckel, 1847)
Common name(s): Saddled bichir, Red bichir
Origin: Nigeria, Lake Chad, White Nile
Max reported size (TL): 750mm (30")
Description: Irregular vertical bands are present along the sides of the fish, which do not extend fully onto the ventral surface, which is a uniform whitish-yellow colour. Black spots are present on the head, body and caudal fin. Prominent lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw. 11-15 dorsal finlets.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2835272532_357b72d337_m.jpg
Polypterus senegalus senegalus
Scientific name: Polypterus senegalus senegalus (Cuvier, 1829)
Common name(s): Senegal bichir, Grey/Gray bichir, Dinosaur eel
Origin: Africa: Nile basin and West Africa, including Gambia, Niger, Senegal, Volta and Lake Chad basins.
Max reported size (TL): 505mm (20")
Description: Uniform brownish-grey to olive colour on dorsal surface, ventral surface whitish. No banding on adults, very young juveniles show three horizontal bands. Upper jaw slightly longer than lower jaw. 8-11 dorsal finlets.
Comments: One of the more commonly available species, it is also one of the more active bichirs during daylight hours.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3141/2830238545_5953acd8d5_m.jpg
Polypterus ornatipinnis
Scientific name: Polypterus ornatipinnis (Boulenger, 1902)
Common name(s): Ornate bichir
Origin: Central and East Africa: Congo river basin, Lake Tanganyika
Max reported size (TL): 600mm (24")
Description: The striking black and yellow patterning of this species extends into the fins, making for a very attractively patterned bichir. The head has a finely reticulated pattern. 9-11 dorsal spines present.
Comments: This is the largest of the protuding upper jaw species of Polypterus.