PDA

View Full Version : betta filters.

korweabo0
04-18-2010, 12:54 AM
okay, so i have a 10g which i'm housing a betta in. and since they don't like high flow rate, would getting a filter for tanks under 10 gallons work for it? it's just him in the tank, so i don't think it'll pose as a problem(parameter-wise).

suggestions?

rich311k
04-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I hae AC 20s on my tens with bettas. Turn the flow all the way down and you will be fine.

korweabo0
04-18-2010, 01:19 AM
i don't have AC filters. so i can't really turn down the flowrate on my filter. it's a whisper.

rich311k
04-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Try a sponge prefilter on the intake.

CherrySparkles
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
What I do (and what's worked really well for my current-sensitive bettas) is putting a bit of filter foam in two places:

(1) Over the filter intake strainer (ie: cut a piece of foam to the same shape as the strainer and a bit bigger than it on all sides, then hollow out the middle of the foam block and slip it over the strainer)

(2) Wedged into the filter output, and extending into the water a little bit. As the water flows out through the sponge, it bounces off of all the different holes in it and is dispersed, instead of just being a big waterfall. It also slows the water down a bit as it comes out. Just be sure not to wedge too much filter foam in too tightly or else it will overflow. Just put enough that it will remain in the filter intake when compressed a little bit.

I've got a couple of 15 gallon tanks with bettas and STRONG filters and this method had made the water perfectly calm for them.

Hope this helps! Your bettas will love their 10 gal!

Sarkazmo
04-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Here ya go, this'll solve your too much current problems: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359&highlight=Diffuser

Sark

korweabo0
04-23-2010, 06:42 AM
i'll try out both ways and see which one works best. thanks.

but CherrySparkles, would you mind going into more detail? i understand it - i just want to make sure. thanks.

CherrySparkles
04-23-2010, 10:48 PM
but CherrySparkles, would you mind going into more detail? i understand it - i just want to make sure. thanks.

Definitely - maybe pictures of each method would make them crystal clear? I'll try to post a couple later today. :)

korweabo0
04-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Definitely - maybe pictures of each method would make them crystal clear? I'll try to post a couple later today. :)

thank you. :)