PDA

View Full Version : how many?

Ashley
04-18-2010, 12:25 AM
So I would like to turn my 110 gallon into a larger fish tank.

I would really like some goldfish, and am wondering how many I could healthily put in there with the plecos, gouramis, BP, and angel. I am planning on purchasing an Eheim 2078 pro E (for 185 gallons) canister filter, and an internal fluval filter. I currenlty have two HOB's . This would all be done rather slowly, maybe purchasing one goldfish next week, then getting the canister filter, and another goldie in a month or so. I am really interested in a goldfish tank.

Thanks in advance for help.

Brhino
04-18-2010, 12:48 AM
regular or fancy goldfish?

What are the dimensions on your tank? I know you said 110g but what's the length/width?

How big are your common plecos? Seems like the two of them alone will be crowding out a 110g tank once they get full grown. Also, what's a "BP"?

Ashley
04-18-2010, 12:54 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of fancy goldfish. my plecos are around 7 inches long each. BP is a blood parrot. I don't have the dimensions right now unfortunately.

Brhino
04-18-2010, 01:24 AM
unfortunately, as best as I can figure (and without knowing the footprint of your tank exactly), your plecos are on their way to busting your tank. As it stands right now with them only being 7", you've got room for two or three fancy goldfish, but unless you have an exit strategy for one or both of your plecos I wouldn't recommend it.

Malawidolphin
04-18-2010, 03:31 AM
I can't speak for the goldfish aspect but I do know cichlids. A Blood Parrot is a Hybrid and can be very aggressive. They do not nip fins to let you know there is aggression in the tank they will just one day decide to kill somethng. They have the kind of "goofy, awkward" look gong on which fools people into thinking they are a weird but cute friendly fish, but as they mature some get very unruly. I would ditch the common Pleco as they produce far more waste than a tank needs. If you want a Pleco that is a great algae eater but does not grow to 24" try to find a BN Pleco or a rubber lipped, they will only grow to abut 5-6". After getting rid of those poop producers I am sure your 110 gal can house more than 3 fancy goldfish. Depending on the footprint a 110 g can hold a small coclony of Frontosa so limiting the tank to 3 fancy goldfish is a little extreme.
Gouramis will chase your gold fish and angel fish to the extreme. I had a gourami that terorized a Green Texas Cichlid. They don't nip, they just chase until the other fish is stressed. I would stick to an "all mellow" or "active aggressive" mix but don't try to have both in one tank.

Ashley
04-18-2010, 01:16 PM
My pearl gouramis are very calm, they don't chase the angel at all. The blood parrot only chases fish when it's feeding time (and not to an extreme). The plecos I am hanging on to until I move into a house. I am planning on setting up a pond, and they will go in there. That's why this tank will eventually mainly have goldfish. It's not an all at once project, more of a gradual switch over. Thanks though... lots to think about.

Malawidolphin
04-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I found Angels were peaceful and could also hold their own especially if they are spawning. I have always kept challenging tanks with different cichlids but I must admit since I started my pond project I am becoming very fond of 2 shubunkins I purchased. I have them in a 55 gal until my pond is ready for them. My husband thinks I am crazy and pretends not to be interestd in my hobby, but I see him watching the tanks and standing near the pond when I am not looking.