PDA

View Full Version : When is it the betta and when is it me?

Rue
05-19-2007, 04:50 PM
*argh*

Nothing wrong with my water.

Lost another female in my 25g tank. Fins were beautiful. No signs of being sick. Other fish all fine.

And Mr. Plakat has a huge swelling on his side. Can't swim. I pulled him out of the tank and put him back in his 'shipping container' so he's closer to the water surface for air...but I'm not holding out hope.

As far as I know, I'm doing everything right. So either I AM doing something wrong...and don't know it...or there's something wrong with the bettas...

...but now this has been 5 bettas...

...not much point to giving them a 'better home' if they die...:(

sergo
05-19-2007, 05:00 PM
swim bladder problem possibly from overfeeding. what other tankmates do you have with them? there could be some things happening at night that are causing losts of stress with the bettas and causing them to die for no apparent reason.

cocoa_pleco
05-19-2007, 05:01 PM
AAAAAHHHHHH, that doesnt sound good. I just lost a cory too, he was dead laying on the java moss.

Dont let those bettas die!!!!

The swelling sounds bad. If it gets black, that super bad. I think you will sadly have to euthuanise mr. plakat if it gets black since thats a untreatable tumor.

Sorry to hear that

Rue
05-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Well...2 of the 3 females died within a few days of being here...and one didn't look good from the first...

...this last one has been here for about a month...looked absolutely fine...

...and the one CT had a serious injury that he didn't recover from...

The new CT looks fine...

Those are/were all in the 25g community tank

...Mr. Plakat is in the 25l tank with the 6 mystery snails...I only noticed that he was 'off' last night...

Hhm...I guess that's only 4 dead bettas...with 3 being 'ill' or sickly...

...but that's still too many...

cocoa_pleco
05-19-2007, 05:13 PM
thats odd. could anyone be beating them up or stressing them?

cocoa_pleco
05-19-2007, 05:27 PM
actually, another thought. how old are they? most bettas live 3 years and are bought at 1 year old.

Also, like sergo said, it may be over feeding. My betta in the 20g planted eats like the other fish, and is just a pig, but i give the 5g betta 2 pellets every second day. This way hes interested, and hes not reliable on me.

sergo
05-19-2007, 05:28 PM
have you checked you water parameters against the water that they are coming with? maybe that is where it all starting from, the stress from the big change and they just never really recover from it. i have noticed that other fish will tend to pick on sickly fish almost constantly it seems including at night when no one is looking.

Rue
05-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Good ideas guys!

Could be someone's picking on the females at night...I wouldn't see that...but as I said, fins were perfect...so it wasn't fin nipping at least...

...and of course it could be stressful water parametres...but then you'd think that all those bettas living in bowls would die...yet some live for years...and they're getting 100% water changes, most of them...

...I also drip acclimated all these guys to help with that...

I suppose we'll see...maybe give it one more go and if it happens again...no new bettas...

cocoa_pleco
05-19-2007, 05:43 PM
someone who works in the petsmart by me has had a betta in a tiny bowl for over 3 years.

Lady Hobbs
05-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Any time you have unexplained deaths and so many of them, you can just about guess it's your water. Check the water right from the tap and then check it after it's been in the tank for awhile.

Rue
05-20-2007, 12:11 AM
...that's what I thought...

...nothing is showing up on the tests...new kit too...