PDA

View Full Version : A Wanna-Be Pond

Zilla
04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Is it possible to have a "container" pond? I don't want fish in it, just plants. We have a couple half whiskey barrels kicking around that we use for planters, but since they're a pain to move, I was thinking about using something like this http://www.godawn.com/plastic-tree-tubs.asp

Because the tub I would be using is plastic, this would have to be a seasonal thing, but if I use plants that are tank friendly (i.e- water lettuce or red root floaters) I could always bring them in when the weather starts getting too cold for them.

If it's not a good idea, it's not a big deal. I'm just brain storming for possible projects to take on, assuming that it stops raining one of these days.

Algenco
04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
you sure can! Why not add a few fish, something to keep mosquitoes down.
Lillies do great also

Wild Turkey
04-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Yea it sure is.

Another member on the forum uses them to grow algae for feeding his keeps.

You can do feeder guppies, you might have to move them into the garage or something in the winter depending on where you live

Scrup
04-17-2010, 10:57 PM
They work great. Its the same thing as a pre-formed plastic pond, only cheaper.

Water lillies work great in aquariums if you have the light to keep em alive. Mine overwintered in my tank and are about to go back out.

korith
04-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I've got a 25g tub on my deck, has dwarf water lettuce in it and java moss. I've got a mesh screen over the tub to keep birds/insects out for the most part. Added in around 3-4 dozen red cherry shrimp as an experiment to see how they would do out there during the summer.

Algenco
04-18-2010, 12:02 AM
I'll be setting up a few 110 plastic stock tanks in a month or so and will use them to grow out Angels, Albino bristle nose, guppies, and various dwarf cichlids for the summer
I'll also include numerous plants:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
04-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Maybe even a kiddie wadding pool would work.

smaug
04-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Maybe even a kiddie wadding pool would work.
Kiddie wading pools are not meant for the long haul.They contain dyes or paints that would leach into the water and could be toxic.Big horse watering/feeding tubs would be great for the purpose because of there depth they wouldnt fluctuate in temp as badly as shallower container do.They are also very sturdy and the rope handle are actually usable with alot of weight in the bucket.A good fish for this purpose are mollys or rosy red minnows.

Zilla
04-18-2010, 02:07 PM
You guys are awesome. :11:

Since this is a experiment, I don't want anything too big. Also, where I have in mind for it get lots of sun and I'm not sure if it's going to cause water temp issues or not during the summer. If I find the water gets too warm, I have to be able to move it. I've kept container plants in the general area that I have in mind and they love it, but this is alittle different.

As for fish, I don't know. I really don't want another tank in the house or have to re-home critters when the season is over. I wouldn't be opposed to shrimp, although in either of my tanks they will be eaten. The catch other than being eaten thing is trying to get a handle on this stupid nitrate problem that I have coming from my tap water.

I haven't settled on anything yet, so if there are more ideas to be had, please share them.

Algenco
04-18-2010, 02:32 PM
here is what I'll be using, they will be painted white to help prevent overheating

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/stock-tanks-accessories/stock-tanks/stock-tank-110-ga-2229862

Northernguy
04-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Last year someone set up a temp pond on their balcony.It was taken down for the Winter months.I believe it was some small kit they picked up somewhere.

Aeonflame
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
This is what I've got on the balcony outside my window. recently added and not shown, nymphaea amazonum. It also has a lot more guppies in it and the vals have really gotten thick.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/amithrius/DSC01292.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/amithrius/DSC01293.jpg

Northernguy
04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow! Show off!lol
and thats outside!
If I did that it would freeze every night.

Zilla
04-18-2010, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Aeonflame]This is what I've got on the balcony outside my window. recently added and not shown, nymphaea amazonum. It also has a lot more guppies in it and the vals have really gotten thick.

What are they planted in?

What's on the bottom? Sand?

Nice catch of your own reflection. =)

Aeonflame
04-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Thats a plastic tub that I had lying around for years. It probably holds like 30 gallons of water. The bottom is a layer of topsoil with a layer of pool filter sand on top.

Yeah.. its hard to take an overhead photo of water when youre outside
:hmm3grin2orange:

Aeonflame
04-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Okay, this is the tub now, several months later. I only added the nymphaea a couple weeks ago and the old leaves are still there but kinda ragged. Most of them have been replaced with new leaves. I cant wait for it to start flowering. As you can see, the plants do a great job of filtering the water since the tub gets direct sunlight for several hours a day. I have never had an algae problem for more than a couple days at at time, and those are far and few in between.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/amithrius/DSC02657.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn193/amithrius/DSC02653.jpg

Zilla
04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
You've got some serious growth going in that container. How many hours of sunlight does it get?

Could I grow Water hyacinths in a container? LMAO! Leave it to me to want to plant a noxious weed, but they're pretty and if I'm going to do this, I want something that flowers. I'd toss the plant in the compost bin at the end of the season so there would be zero chance of it taking over any given body of water near me.

It can't be any worse than the cat nip that I planted a few years ago that I still have to pull up today as the stuff refuses to go away. It jumped the container I had it in and rooted itself along the fence.

Rue
04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Gardening centers often have really nice water garden ideas...in containers and otherwise...

Often you can put something similar together for less $$$...

Aeonflame
04-19-2010, 12:19 AM
You've got some serious growth going in that container. How many hours of sunlight does it get?

Could I grow Water hyacinths in a container? LMAO! Leave it to me to want to plant a noxious weed, but they're pretty and if I'm going to do this, I want something that flowers. I'd toss the plant in the compost bin at the end of the season so there would be zero chance of it taking over any given body of water near me.

It can't be any worse than the cat nip that I planted a few years ago that I still have to pull up today as the stuff refuses to go away. It jumped the container I had it in and rooted itself along the fence.

This gets about 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. Thats direct sunlight plus indirect all day long. Im sure you could do water hyacinths but I've found that they do better with a lot of nitrates. They are great nutrient sponges.

Algenco
04-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Zilla,
this may give you an idea about what can be done in a tub

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?liveplantsp&1271645781

Zilla
04-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Well that's certainly not a problem in this house. Got lots of trates coming straight from the tap.

I made the mistake of mentioning my small pond idea to hubby. Lots of people have S/O's or spouses that are not keen with multiple tanks or otherwise, mine is the complete opposite. I told him what I wanted to do and I got the "Are you high?" look, then he started going on and on about all the kidney shaped ponds they have at work and how we could scape it out, blah,blah,blah.

:hand:

No way! I wanted something small to putz around with. It wasn't supposed to be some massive project with all kinds of planning involved. It's to grow some plants that I can winterize in my tanks ( sans the "weeds" I want to try) and if I like it enough, I'll build on the experience next year.

Since I didn't fall for the whole "lets redecorate the backyard" mojo, he told me that my bucket would be nothing more than a home for mosquitos. Thanks honey! I love you too! :bart: I guess skeeters avoid kidney shaped ponds. OIY!

Oh well, I'm going to continue to research my mosquito magnet bucket idea anyway. Maybe I'll find some Grow Up pills for dear husband while I'm looking. Seriously...

Zilla
04-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Zilla,
this may give you an idea about what can be done in a tub

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?liveplantsp&1271645781
Thanks for the link. Those are cool! thumbs2:

Aeonflame
04-19-2010, 02:21 AM
A few feeder guppies will keep your container mosquito free.. no problems.

Zilla
04-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the tip.

The truth behind the comment hubby made the other night was revealed this morning. The reason he said what he did was because he wants fish in the "pond".

When I asked if he was going to help maintain it, I didn't get a answer so it's safe say that the answer would be no. It would have been easier if he just told me that he wanted fish in the first place, but I guess he was in the mood the play games. Blech!

marinagina
04-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I think it all looks great. You are on to something here. I can't wait to see the final setup. I agree that you will have to have something stocked for algae control (http://allmypetsupplies.com/c-141-algae-control.aspx), especially if you will have it out in the summer months. Or treat it another way. Great thinking though, excited to see it!!!

Zilla
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Hubby has tomorrow off, so it will be a good day to go poking and see what's around that I can get my little grubby hands on.

We have to visit atleast one plant nursery anyway as I need help with some issues around the yard, so may as well take care of two things while I'm there.

Rhaethe
04-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Going to watch this thread ...

I have a small patio outside that never gets used ... and if I stick a "pond" out there the boyfriend can't say squat about it taking up any room :sbiggrin:

Besides, I think it might be nice to put something out there on the days I actually want to go outside and read :scool:

Zilla
04-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Going to watch this thread ...

I have a small patio outside that never gets used ... and if I stick a "pond" out there the boyfriend can't say squat about it taking up any room :sbiggrin:

Besides, I think it might be nice to put something out there on the days I actually want to go outside and read :scool:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Your BF and my hubby need to chat. Hubby insists that we have something the size of a bath tub if not bigger in the backyard and your BF doesn't want see anymore water other than what's in tanks you guys already have. I'm sure there must be middle ground somewhere in between the extremes. LOL

I agree with the reading outdoors thing. It's not uncommon for me to disappear outside with a pile of magazines or something and just stay out there for a few hours when the weather is good. No TV, phone, computer, ect. It's just the bugs, squirrels, the occasional chipmunk,birds and a lounge chair. Today would have been a good day for that, but I had to mow the lawn ( heaven forbid the dogs get their feet wet past the ankle) and now my sinuses are complaining.