PDA

View Full Version : corals in stores?

skaren25
04-17-2010, 12:28 AM
where does the coral and anenomies in places like petland and petsmart come from? are they farm raised or not? or how can you tell if they are or not?
thanks

rich311k
04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Ask them, they should be able to tell you.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Many are still collected from the wild, however, an increasing number are being captive raised from frags. The number of corals that are being aquacultured is increasing all the time.

Fishguy2727
04-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Many places can get a significant number of their corals from private local keepers and aqua- or maricultured sources. However most are still from the wild. ORA puts most of their coral frags on those thick black plastic plugs. Fish Heads has a plastic label imbedded in the bottom of their frags.

Fortunately most from the wild are from healthy areas and are collected in sustainable ways.

I would say that about half of the corals that come in to my store are aqua- or maricultured. Some even come out of my personal tank.

skaren25
04-17-2010, 02:51 AM
ok...thanks. i guess i just have to ask the store b/c my husband feels strongly about not taking coral from a natural ocean source. he would be ok with farmed coral though.

Fishguy2727
04-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Unfortunately if you have ever stayed at a beachside resort or eaten food from a farm without a buffering woodland between it and its closest stream or river you are supporting reef destruction much more than if you bought corals from a healthy ocean source.