PDA

View Full Version : What should phosphates read?

Lady Hobbs
04-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Where I lived before here, I had phosphates levels of 2 always. I was happy to move hoping they would be lower, but nope. Here as well. Well, darned if I didn't test my water yesterday and they are now .25..... right out of the faucet.

Could this be what caused this explosion of BBA suddenly? And what in heck made the phosphate drop? I don't even know what they should be. DOH!

rich311k
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Imbalances will cause algae. I think a phosphate of 1 would be more than adequate for any tank.

Brhino
04-16-2010, 11:38 PM
As I understand it, municipalities periodically tinker with their water supply, or change sources, or borrow water from another district. Your water utility (assuming you're not working off of a well) may have changed something, resulting in a change of phosphate levels.

I thought phosphates were food for algae though, so I don't know why a reduction in phosphate levels would lead to an increase in algae.

rich311k
04-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Plants need potassium, phosphate, nitrogen, carbon and light to grow. If there is a lack of one they will not grow as well. Algae is more adaptable to less than perfect conditions. If something is not right the algae will grow better than the plants do. When the plants have all they need they grow well and algae is kept at a minimum.

Lady Hobbs
04-17-2010, 11:58 AM
I suspect you are so right rich. I have always fought with these phosphate levels due to diatoms but never had BBA other than tiny patches that peroxide took care of. Apparently these phosphates dropping like that triggered this imbalance.

Planted tanks shouldn't have to require a scientic mind and test kits of everything. *sigh