PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of duckweed

HorrorShowRot
04-16-2010, 08:47 PM
So apparently there was duckweed on my new plants. And at first it was neat but now its completely out of control. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Irish2539
04-16-2010, 09:14 PM
i just use a net... skim it along the surface.

HorrorShowRot
04-16-2010, 09:29 PM
That is what I have been doing. But once I cause surface agitation it goes everywhere xD

Irish2539
04-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Get a basin and slowly lower it into the water.... move it along the surface and the duckweed will flow into it.... another method i use.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
04-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Any particular reason you want to get rid of it? Duckweed is an incredibly effective nitrate remover. Because it is on the surface, it has access to CO2 directly from the atmosphere, it photosynthesizes very well, and sucks up the nitrates like crazy. Personally I would stick to trying to keep it under control.

SunSchein89
04-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I normally just use a little sour cream cup I've sanitized and use for my fish tank. Scoop up some to the top tank and it ends up disappearing somehow, I guess someone up there is eating it. Anyway, if you put the cup down into the water and let the water come to you it's pretty easy, then just throw it away or do what you want with it then. I think I've finally found the right balance so that it doesn't grow uncontrollably anymore. It just takes some playing around with until you figure out how much you need to thin it out. I liked the idea of having the stuff, but got annoyed when it started blocking out most of my light like I'm sure you are. It's a nice touch to a planted tank when it's just a few of them here and there.

WhiteDevil
04-17-2010, 12:27 AM
I got rid of my lesser DW for water lettuce and RRF. I used a report cover from officemax and siliconed it to the shape I wanted the lettuce to roam in, worked like a charm. now my surface plants stay on the surface and not under the water with the HOB filter.

rich311k
04-17-2010, 12:33 AM
I scoop it out by the pound, enough always surives to come back. I dont mind it as long as I clean it out regularly. It makes good turtle food too.

Algenco
04-17-2010, 02:14 AM
I scoop it out by the pound, enough always surives to come back. I dont mind it as long as I clean it out regularly. It makes good turtle food too.

goldfish and Mbuna love it to

HeatherB
04-17-2010, 04:15 AM
if you used some sort of floating ring, would it contain it? I don't know much about it, but maybe some kind of like, airline tubing ring would keep it all in one spot?

korith
04-17-2010, 04:55 AM
There is no way to contain duckweed. It's like a virulent disease that rages out of control and goes everywhere. Using a net and scooping from the bottom seemed to work well for me. One time I thought I had gotten rid of the duckweed, but a few pieces that had gotten stuck behind the filter were able to fill up the tank in a few weeks time. Can't really think of any non time consuming way to get rid of it all, just a matter of sitting there and picking away at it. Or maybe a temporary goldfish?