PDA

View Full Version : bichir emergency

ir.gar
04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
hi to all
i recently bought a pair bichir when i got them home, one of them everytime it swim up it alway lost its balance and return to bottom of the tank on its back or side before it right itself again and and compound to the problem twice i forgot to close the lid it jump out and now it on its back all the time any body can tell me what to do

Irish2539
04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Do u know what type of Bichir it is...? Sounds like ur Bichir might of burst his bladder when he jumped out of the tank... U rly need to seal any holes in the tank with these guys.... They are great escape artists as u have found out.

Northernguy
04-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
We need more info!
What size tank? What filtration?
Is the tank cycled?
Perameters are needed.Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates and ph levels?
Type of bichir?
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/predatory/bichir.php

tanks4thememories
04-16-2010, 03:40 PM
hi to all
i recently bought a pair bichir when i got them home, one of them everytime it swim up it alway lost its balance and return to bottom of the tank on its back or side before it right itself again and and compound to the problem twice i forgot to close the lid it jump out and now it on its back all the time any body can tell me what to do

Please tell me the following:
Tank size:
How long has tank been set up:
Is it cycled:
Ammo
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
PH:
temp:
Tank Mates:
Type & size of fish effected(scientific name if possible):
How long has it been in tank:
Do you have a hospital tank?:

With the limited information you have given so far it seems to be a swim bladder infection of some sort. I doubt it is burst. Once a fish actually shows sickness it is often late in the game. It is now laying on its back from stress of dealing with its illness, jumping out of the tank and fatigue. You may have to take him back. Birchirs are "Air Gulpers/Breachers" - they need surface air so if he cant make it to the surface he can eventually drown from lack of oxygen.
One note about fish that are known to jump, they are especially prone to do so when sick or when stressed or when water conditions aren't correct. In your case I think its sickness and stress.
FYI: They are very hardy fish AKA "armored prehistoric fish...lol"
Time is of the essence here though If you wish to try to save him we need to get him isolated and on meds asap, so please respond as soon as you can.

PS welcome!! , sorry its under these circumstances.:22: