PDA

View Full Version : Help with rescued goldfish?

r4k
04-16-2010, 07:24 AM
I got this goldfish today from a friend. I was wondering what are the red lines on his eyes are. His shape is also sort of weird.

He is also not swimming to the top :(

They bought this little dude about 2 years ago. He was a blackmoore apparently but now he's orange. They also told me that he was blind on one eye before. I'm guessing it was an infection that cleared up??

He has been in a 10gallon aquarium since then with other fish.

He is currently in a 30gallon aquarium with my black moore and a fantail.

Any advice on whether the red lines across his eyes are normal and his body shape? What should I do to help him?

His photos:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc265…
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc265…

Irish2539
04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Im not a goldfish expert... but yeah sounds like he had a bacterial infection in his eye and nothing was done about it... Best thing to do is do a big water change and add melafix. As for for red eyes... iv never heard of this.

Well i cant actually see the pics for some reason... but since he was in a small tank for 2 years its stunted his growth and thats why he may be a bit deformed.. or it could be birth defect...

r4k
04-16-2010, 10:18 AM
thanks.. is there something that can be done for stunted growth?
i'll try posting the pictures again.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/r4k237/IMG_3516.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/r4k237/IMG_3517.jpg

Irish2539
04-16-2010, 11:35 AM
mmm that gold fish aint lookin to happy! Frm the pic it looks like he has pop eye.. erm no there is nothing u can do about the deformation.

At least u got him out of the 10gal.thumbs2:

As i said i dont know much about goldfish, but to me it looks like a fancy goldfish...?

VoidParadigm
04-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Painfully stunted.

Blackmoors, Fancies, etc... they're all the same exact thing. The reason why he turned orange was because he likely was not from a true strain of Blackmoors. Cross-breeding would have caused that.

All you can do about the stunted growth is to do 50% water changes every week. This will get rid of Nitrates in the water, which if I recall correctly are one of the factors in smaller fish.

If the red lines move, they could be some form of parasite or worm. If the red lines are stationary, then he could have just been born with them, or are the damage leftover from a previous infection - nothing to be done.

The deformations may straighten out as he gets older, but he could already be too stunted. Again, high and frequent water changes are the best help.

Has he ate anything since you got him? If he won't come to the surface for food try putting it directly in the filter flow - this will get the flakes or pellets swirling around ALL the water body, not just floating.

Scrup
04-17-2010, 06:22 AM
:+1:

Try and find some sinking pellets and soak them in garlic to help entice him to eat.

He will probably always be a little deformed, but I would not say he is past saving by any means, just a little different.

My ryukin was 8" when I got him, and unable to sit up straight in the water, always ending up laying on his face or his back. After 4-5 months of a regular healthy diet and clean water (it did take 4 months before we noticed any real improvement) , he now swims with all the other goldies like nothing was ever wrong.

Lady Hobbs
04-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Totally what happens when too many fish are crammed into a small tank. I will never understand why people seem to think "little tank=big fish" but you see it all the time in this hobby and goldfish get the worse abuse than all others, I believe. Must be that people buy goldfish thinking they will never grow?

At the very least, they must be willing to house them into larger tanks when it becomes evident they need more room. But good job on the rescue and keep up with the gravel cleaning and water changes and perhaps he will have a decent life from here out. 30 gallons is not huge but still more than he previously had.

r4k
05-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Thank you all for your replies thumbs2:

He is doing much better now. He's now eating and swimming with the other two fish. He also now swims to the top to greet me and for food.

The red lines on his eyes are still there though :(

I just kept up with the water changes and kept a close eye on the water parameters. I am also in the process of setting up a bigger tank for them :19:

Bristley
05-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Thank you all for your replies thumbs2:

He is doing much better now. He's now eating and swimming with the other two fish. He also now swims to the top to greet me and for food.

The red lines on his eyes are still there though :(

I just kept up with the water changes and kept a close eye on the water parameters. I am also in the process of setting up a bigger tank for them :19:

Good job on the rescue, and good to see that you're already planning on a larger tank for them, I'm sure that will help out also.

Any plans for the 30g once you move them to the larger tank?