PDA

View Full Version : Need betta tank filter suggestions

Rhaethe
04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Currently, I have a 3g betta tank set up with a TOM Internal Filter. It's flow is 45gph. Now, while I do like all of the extra filtration, I'm not too fond of the flow pressure.

For those with betta and small tanks, what do you use for your filtration?

EmmanuelJB
04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Are you looking for less or more pressure?

I always used the tetra whisper 3i (1-3 gallon) filter. It worked ok for me. Alot of people also like internal air powered sponge filters for small tanks.

kel
04-16-2010, 12:14 AM
I have heard great things about the Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter for Betta tanks. Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter Link (http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=925578&CoreCat=Related_Products)

It has an adjustable flow and is pretty affordable.. between $13-20 depending on where you buy.

Rhaethe
04-16-2010, 12:28 AM
I want less air pressure. The 45gph makes a bit too much current.

Right now, I'm using the spray bar attachment with prefilter sponges covering the bar. The water is coming out, but in drips as opposed to a stream. That's working "ok" ... but I'd prefer a better setup ;)

I'll look into the Whisper 3i and the Red Sea one.

Rhaethe
04-16-2010, 12:50 AM
The sponge on the spray wand doesn't work as well ... well, I'm scared the water will back up or something.

So I've got the spray bar still on, but the water level at such where the only major flow is in the back, coming out of the spray holes directly down. The rest of the tank is free of flow.

And guess where the betta wants to play?

In the jetting water that it can't swim through easily.

oy vey ...

Sarkazmo
04-16-2010, 08:46 AM
The Red Sea filter is just a relabeled Azoo Palm Filter ($9 at Foster and Smith.) I have two of these filters and they work great. Discard the media that comes with it and put in an Aquaclear sponge. What I do is use an AQ sponge on the intake as a prefilter/mechanical filter and fill the media area with ceramic beads.

Tom's Mini Canister filter is a good option though I've not bought one of these yet.

I use a Marineland Penguin 100 on my 1.5G acrylic Betta tank but I use a home made (DIY) diffuser. (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359&highlight=Diffuser)

Really though, if your Betta has areas within the tank where he can relax and not be pushed around by the current then he'll be ok. I find that most Betta actually like to 'play' in high current areas.

Sark

Taurus
04-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Can you rotate the spray bar so that the spray jets point toward the inside glass. Or, can you mount the internal filter at an angle so that the spray jets on the spray bar point toward the inside glass. This would diffuse a lot of current.

The Azoo Palm filter is a good option too, but that would cost $$. $9 at F&S plus shipping which isn't cheap.

The sponge on the spray wand doesn't work as well ... well, I'm scared the water will back up or something.

So I've got the spray bar still on, but the water level at such where the only major flow is in the back, coming out of the spray holes directly down. The rest of the tank is free of flow.

And guess where the betta wants to play?

In the jetting water that it can't swim through easily.

oy vey ...

HeatherB
04-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Those Azoo Palm Filters are on sale at WWW.FISH.COM for $2.99! I know! I was excited! I am going to order one for each of my betta tanks, as well as a spare just in case! I got one from my LFS and paid almost $20 for it!

Besides the Palm Filter, I also use the Penn Plax Small World Filter: http://www.petco.com/product/3199/Penn-Plax-Small-World-Filter.aspx
Good- but all I can do is rinse it out, you can't access the sponge or anything to squeeze it out, or change the carbon.

Northernguy
04-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Mith has a divided tank with 3 bettas in it.He made an attachment for his filter so all 3 sections filtered evenly.It looks rather impressive.
Here is a link.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=61308

EmmanuelJB
04-17-2010, 01:57 AM
I want less air pressure. The 45gph makes a bit too much current.

Right now, I'm using the spray bar attachment with prefilter sponges covering the bar. The water is coming out, but in drips as opposed to a stream. That's working "ok" ... but I'd prefer a better setup ;)

I'll look into the Whisper 3i and the Red Sea one.
The tetra whisper 3i makes litterally no pressure (almost not enough lol). I never had a problem with them when I had it.