PDA

View Full Version : Anacharis or Hornwort?

Lady Hobbs
04-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Which one is less apt to be affected by Excel or are they both touchie?

Which one is less ugly? They both look about the same to me.

rich311k
04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Excel is know to kill anacharis. They say so on the seachem website.

WhiteDevil
04-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Go with hornwort, or try some asian ambulia.

I dont use seachem products because of personal reasons so with my ferts nothing is ill effected by them. I am just trying to give you other options to weedy plants(ambulia acts like anach and HW on steriods)

Asian Ambulia is a very invasive species, water changes become more of a chore with that plant.

I have water lettuce if you want a nice true floater instead of stem floaters

It grows fast and keeps the water very clear and the fish prefer it over stem floaters as well.

I think I even have some red root floater in there too.

PM me or email me(you got access to the email address) and I can send you some pics. I got some new ones in yesterday from virginia that are HUGE but I want to multiple those in the new 210.

Lady Hobbs
04-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks both. I was just looking for something to cram behind a log in the back corner. Might just go with Wisteria instead now.

WhiteDevil
04-15-2010, 08:29 PM
got that too, I found that when its planted rather then floated it grows thicker and bushier and even tends to run across the substrate rather then towards the top. I just trimmed some huge buds off the top and set them in the gravel.

Wisteria would be your best bet to fill any/all gaps in the aquarium.
Its bright green tops and light greenish white underleaves are stunning.

Scrup
04-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Hornwort is a dedicated floater. It can be stuck places, but will eventually rot its way out. anacharis will root itself over time. Hornwort has pinelike leaves, anacharis has short stubby leaves, reminds me of seaweed.

Go with wisteria or something else, they are both best left freefloating IMO.

SunSchein89
04-15-2010, 11:28 PM
I dose 1 ml of excel 3x a week in my 10 gallon planted and my anacharis does really well; I probably trim that plant the most. It does a good job of covering my filter intake and my heater too. I like my wisteria a lot too, though, both are good choices.