PDA

View Full Version : betta..sneezing?

korweabo0
04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
well, i've been closely treating my newly bought betta, (no name yet..suggestions anyone?), of ich in the container he was brought in. he shows full recovery but i want to be extra safe.

at times he seems to "sneeze" while coming up for air. i'm not entirely sure how to explain this in words but yeah, sneeze! picture yourself on how you "flinch" when sneezing, he does it! could he be aching to swim around more, or is this some sort of symptom?

thanks.

Piscine
04-14-2010, 06:42 PM
If your fish is in the container you bought it in, it is possibly drowning in ammonia.

SunSchein89
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I would upgrade him to a large tupperware container (with a way for air to get in of course) or something until he's recovered completely. See if the upgrade helps him out at all and make sure to change the water our pretty regularly. Other than that, I've never really heard of something like that so maybe someone else will recognize it as a symptom of something.

Piscine
04-14-2010, 07:10 PM
The only time I have actually seen a fish do this is when they are getting ready to fight or when seeing their reflection. He might see his reflection.

korweabo0
04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
If your fish is in the container you bought it in, it is possibly drowning in ammonia.

interesting. i'll move him back to the tank and see if i notice a difference.

Yeah, I would upgrade him to a large tupperware container (with a way for air to get in of course) or something until he's recovered completely. See if the upgrade helps him out at all and make sure to change the water our pretty regularly. Other than that, I've never really heard of something like that so maybe someone else will recognize it as a symptom of something.

thanks. i'll move him to his tank.

The only time I have actually seen a fish do this is when they are getting ready to fight. He might see his reflection.

well, when i think of a betta getting ready to fight i picture him flared up(fins all fanned out).

regardless, i'll go set up his tank and drop him in and check for differences.
thanks.

korweabo0
04-14-2010, 10:02 PM
well i moved him to his regular tank. he seems to be doing just fine but still seems to sneeze when he comes up for air. but it's like once every five or six times he sneezes.

Irish2539
04-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Wud love to see vid of Betta 'sneezing'. Im pretty curious.

Lady Hobbs
04-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Trying to treat with medications in that small of a container could have killed your beta. Medicines deplete the oxygen in the tank and you should have a filter when using medications and sometimes even added oxygen may be necessary.

korweabo0
04-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Wud love to see vid of Betta 'sneezing'. Im pretty curious.

well he doesn't do it much anymore. i guess as Lady Hobbs said the medication must have been suffocating him.

any chance i get, i'll try! also; thanks guys~

wolf_eyes
04-15-2010, 03:51 AM
well he doesn't do it much anymore. i guess as Lady Hobbs said the medication must have been suffocating him.

any chance i get, i'll try! also; thanks guys~

I think this was the case as well. He may have been taking a huge gulp of air to keep his labyrinth filled with air which made him look like he was "sneezing".

SunSchein89
04-15-2010, 07:41 AM
I think this was the case as well. He may have been taking a huge gulp of air to keep his labyrinth filled with air which made him look like he was "sneezing".

Was thinking that as well, but she said it looks like when you kind of flinch when you sneeze so I imagine some form of violent shaking or something unless I'm mistaken.

korweabo0
04-15-2010, 01:44 PM

perhaps this can be the case too. he doesn't do it anymore so i'm relieved.

Was thinking that as well, but he said it looks like when you kind of flinch when you sneeze so I imagine some form of violent shaking or something unless I'm mistaken.

that was the only explanation i could come up with. sorry.