PDA

View Full Version : Panda Corys are sweet!

SkarloeysMom
05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
I just got 2 panda corys and they are the cutest little dudes (maybe ladies, don't know) I've put in my 10g so far. I could only find 2 in town so I'm waiting on a new shipment to show up at the ONE place that had them. I want to add one more to help my other 2 feel kinda schoolie.

Now I've read here and there that they need smoother substrate so they don't wear down their little whiskers I guess. I've got the standard small aquarium gravel in my tank. It doesn't look sharp but it does look a little rough. Is that gonna be OK?

Also, do they have a habit of hiding out a lot or is that just something they do when they're getting adjusted to the tank?

cocoa_pleco
05-18-2007, 06:36 PM
the hiding is just that theyre not used to the tank, they'll come out soon.

Regular gravel works fine, and so does sand. Its just big gumball sized rocks that dont work with them

SkarloeysMom
05-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks Cocoa! I was a little worried that one of them might be sick or something and that's why he was hiding. They both look to be in good shape but I'm always very vigilant when I first get a new fish to make sure they're doing OK. I would really hate to lose one of these guys. They have rounded out my community tank perfectly.

Rue
05-18-2007, 08:10 PM
My first group of corys were always out and about...

...my current group hide at the back of the tank...and run everytime they see me...

...doesn't do much for my ego...

kimmers318
05-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Just make sure your gravel is smooth without sharp edges and they should be fine. If the gravel is rough it could wear down their barbels. I thought my original gravel felt smooth, but I also had flourite under it (actually thought I might be able to do plants:laugh1blue: ) and couldn't believe the growth on my cories barbels when they were moved to sand substrate.
Here is a pic I just took a few minutes ago showing her beautiful barbels
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/cories%20and%20plecos/004.jpg

And here she is shuffling around in the sand
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/cories%20and%20plecos/005.jpg

Lady Hobbs
05-19-2007, 12:38 PM
I had 2 and now down to only the one but I never see him. He lays on the bottom behind rocks or plants all day long. I've wondered at times why I even have him. He most likely needs some friends but even with two they were constantly hiding.

xoolooxunny
05-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I had 2 and now down to only the one but I never see him. He lays on the bottom behind rocks or plants all day long. I've wondered at times why I even have him. He most likely needs some friends but even with two they were constantly hiding.

instead of 2, try and get about 30-40, and they'll hang out.

Lady Hobbs
05-19-2007, 12:55 PM
40! Not hardly. lololol

Mark Lathrop
05-23-2007, 06:16 AM
the hiding is just that theyre not used to the tank, they'll come out soon.

Regular gravel works fine, and so does sand. Its just big gumball sized rocks that dont work with them

I have gumball sized rocks in my tank, but they're all super round and smooth. I also have a completely bare area in my tank where I drop the cory's food and where they can play around without any rocks. I watch them pretty closely and the bigger rocks seem just fine on their barbells.

Mine are active from when I wake up in the morning, until midnight and beyond. I've woken up on a couple of occasions and passed by the tank well beyond 2am and saw them playing around in the current from the filter. I have a little pirate ship with a tiny hole in the bottom of it that opens up to the inside of the ship, and on some afternoons I'll pass by and all 3 of them will be crammed inside napping. The hiding may just mean that they are sleeping...? Or trying? At one point in time I was down to 1 cory after one died. The remaining one became lazy and hid alot, but about a week after I got him two companions, he livened up again (I think he was shy at first as I think I got 2 females).

I swear they have puppy genes in them cause they all swim up to the glass shaking their little tails at me when I get home. It's almost as if they're excited to see me! But in reality they probably just want me to feed them, haha.

cocoa_pleco
05-23-2007, 11:53 PM
i have 5 emeralds in the hex, and 3 albinos in the 20g. The emeralds are always on the bottom, and the albinos either sleep in the bubble counter, java fern, java moss, or cabomba.

Drumachine09
05-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Its not the big rocks that harm corys. Its the small sharp rocks. Here is a good test. Take a handfull of your substrate, and squeeze it as HARD as you can. If it hurts you, it could hurt the cories.

Jahosacat
05-27-2007, 08:54 PM
I have 4 panda cories and 2 albinos in my 30 gal with 3 small angels. I have 6 cory elgans in my 55 gal community tank. Both groups hide when I'm doing mainenance and they hid for a week or so when I first put them in the tanks. I love to watch them playing around.

SkarloeysMom
05-28-2007, 03:20 PM
well, my pandas are doing very well it seems. They hide from time to time but i see them working away too. I just love watching them. They are so cute! I wanted to get a 3rd to make them feel more like a school but now I'm wondering if 3 would be too much for a 10g. I was having a little problem getting food down to them because the guppies were snarfling all the food before it got to the bottom. Since I have started throwing in sinking waffers broken into small pieces at the same time as feeding and they are getting bits of the waffers now.thumbs2: