PDA

View Full Version : Black Moor Trouble

kelsonsmom
04-14-2010, 03:40 AM
Hi...

I am a very new Black Moor owner. In the past 2 days, I have had 2 pass. I started with a black moor and a calico goldfish. The lady at the pet store assured me they were compatible. When I woke up this morning, the black moor had perished and the goldfish seems to be thriving. I also have 2 male betas but they don't require much except water changes and feeding so I have never had any trouble and I have had them for over a year. Both black moors have been about an inch long (small) and I have them in a general goldfish bowl w/an aerator system. I am feeding them once per day as directed. I feel like I am doing everything right but apparently something is wrong because the 2 fish have passed. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening. HELP!! :help: :scry:

SunSchein89
04-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Well this may come as a surprise to you as it does to most, but those gold fish should not be in that bowl even if their picture may have been on the box the bowl came in. At adulthood, they, along with most other gold fish, can reach a length of 12 inches. The smallest size tank I see recommended for goldfish is a 55 gallon, but bigger is always much better, especially if you want more than just a few. Check out the free e-book on this website located on the top left part of the webpage. This will give you a lot of information on aquariums to get you started and probably dispel some common fish-keeping myths that circulate amongst people. Here's a little extra info on black moors that can be found on this site as well...

Black moor goldfish (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/blackmoor.php)

Hope I was of some assistance :22: .

Zilla
04-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Ditto what SunSchein said.

Gold fish are messy. They can easily funk up the water parameters in a bowl which is probably what did them in. Betta's are much smaller and don't make a fraction of the mess.

We have some gold fish fans around here. Cristoff comes to mind and has some beautiful looking ones which are pictured in this thread http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=62132&page=2

labnjab
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree with all the advice given. We've had 3 of our 4 goldfish for almost 2 years. We started them in a 29 gallon and soon upgraded them to a 55 gallon. Now their in a heavily filtered 75 gallon and they will get their final tank when we move into a house, probably something in the 125 to 150 gallon size. They are very fast growers. One of our black mores was only 3 inches when we got him and now hes pushing 8 inches including fins. All of them are over 5 inches now and still growing fast.

Irish2539
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Yup agree with advice given! Ermmmm U should only keep one male betta,,, are they not kiling each other???

kelsonsmom
04-15-2010, 04:50 AM
Yup agree with advice given! Ermmmm U should only keep one male betta,,, are they not kiling each other???

Sorry... I should've specified. The Betas are in a separate tank with a divider and a blinder so they don't constantly have to look at each other and be so stressed. The problem was with the Black Moor but I have decided to just keep the goldfish in a tank all by hisself because I am assuming it has something to do with him, considering he (or she ) is doing just fine. I will upgrade my tanks as they money allows and hopefully we can introduce some new buddies to "Spot" the goldfish.
Thanks! =):goldfish:

kelsonsmom
04-15-2010, 04:56 AM
:fish:
So... I decided to just let "Spot" the calico goldfish be in the bowl by himself, for now. I think he may be the problem. The bowl is very well aerated and he seems very happy in there all by himself. As I said to the last responder, I will be increasing the tank size as I can afford it. We are hoping to move up to a 5 or 10 gallon tank within the next 2 weeks. (fingers crossed). Then maybe Spot can have some friends and not dominate so much. =). Again... Thanks for all the responses. This really is an awesome forum and you guys really helped. Have a good one! ~KK~
:19: :11: :goldfish:

Brhino
04-15-2010, 05:36 AM
Aeration is only one piece of the puzzle. You also need filtration, which you have none of, and room for the fish to generally do its fishy thing, which you are also extremely lacking. Without both of those, I'm afraid you'll be back to us with more problems in the very near future. A 5 or 10 gallon tank would only be a very temporary solution, and if you think that getting a tank that size means you have space for even more fish, you're in for additional hurt.

You seem to be receptive to the advice everyone has given you, but you're only taking a small step when a large one will be needed to provide a healthy environment for your fish.

SunSchein89
04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Aeration is only one piece of the puzzle. You also need filtration, which you have none of, and room for the fish to generally do its fishy thing, which you are also extremely lacking. Without both of those, I'm afraid you'll be back to us with more problems in the very near future. A 5 or 10 gallon tank would only be a very temporary solution, and if you think that getting a tank that size means you have space for even more fish, you're in for additional hurt.

You seem to be receptive to the advice everyone has given you, but you're only taking a small step when a large one will be needed to provide a healthy environment for your fish.

Mhmm. Ditto what he said thumbs2: If you want to keep him and a few other gold fish, which most gold fish would appreciate, you should get at least a 55 gallon tank. When money allows of course (don't make yourself eat cat food to buy a new tank, but don't put the fish's life in unnecessary harm either, any Petco will take in the fish for sure if need be) . He should be fine for now if you can keep the water clean, butttt I'd say go for a 75+ gallon tank if you have the room, if you want a good few more fish, and if you want something really pretty to look at. I'm sure a dozen foot-long gold fish in a nice-sized tank would look a lot cooler than poor little Spot stuffed into a tank as long as his body is:ssuprised: .

Bristley
04-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Mhmm. Ditto what he said thumbs2: If you want to keep him and a few other gold fish, which most gold fish would appreciate, you should get at least a 55 gallon tank. When money allows of course (don't make yourself eat cat food to buy a new tank, but don't put the fish's life in unnecessary harm either, any Petco will take in the fish for sure if need be) . He should be fine for now if you can keep the water clean, butttt I'd say go for a 75+ gallon tank if you have the room, if you want a good few more fish, and if you want something really pretty to look at. I'm sure a dozen foot-long gold fish in a nice-sized tank would look a lot cooler than poor little Spot stuffed into a tank as long as his body is:ssuprised: .

I also agree with both of these posts. I know as you read these in order from top to bottom the recommended tank size that you should get seems to be getting bigger. Brhino said 55g I think and then SunSchein89 said 75g, but they are giving good advice since it sounds like you would like to add more fish in with Spot.

You may already be looking at Craigslist and other similar sites for deals but if not you should. I know right where you're at when you say "as the money allows". New tanks, especially larger tanks can be cost prohibitive, but there are some great deals out there and if you really looked I bet you could find something between 75g and 100g for a reasonable price. With that kind of space your Black Moor would have plenty of room to grow and could also have a few friends.

Personnally, if you could, I think a 100g with 5 goldfish and well planted would be an excellent tank.