PDA

View Full Version : Amano Shrimp Conerns

raulfd4
04-13-2010, 04:19 AM
Tank specs are in signature below.

My tank has been experiencing some mild red algae growth for the past couple of weeks. I didn't buy the shrimp as a way to deal with the algae, I was just interested in maintaining some invertebrates.

I have three Amano shrimp. Right now they are busy taking care of the relatively small buildup of algae I have in my tank. At the rate they are going they will probably take care if the rest of the algae growth in my tank by the end of the week.

i have been feeding my fish regularly (skipping a day once a week and making sure they eat everything in only a few minutes). Obviously, a flake or pellet or two make it past my fish. Is this enough to keep my shrimp happy in the future? Or when all of the algae is gone, should I start feeding more? I understand that they are opportunistic/sparse eaters, but i don't want to starve anyone!

Anyone think that I have too many shrimp?

:ariel:

Zilla
04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't think you have anything to worry about. They eat all kinds of stuff, so unless they are displaying abnormal behavior, I wouldn't think too much of it.

I know you have fake plants, but shrimp really like moss. Mosses collect stuff from the water that they like to pick through, so if you're able to get a small thing of Java Moss, they'd probably really enjoy it.

Java Moss isn't hard to take care of and it's not demanding, at all. It's low light and can grow in all kinds of conditions.

raulfd4
04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
I have been wanting to add some type of moss or other small plant, but I have a few concerns about my tank:

1) I only have stock lighting in my hood. Not even sure of what the wattage, etc. is. Is java moss able to grow under such conditions?

2) My substrate is gravel of mixed size, mostly larger pieces, average size being about 1.5 cm in diameter. Can java moss grow in substrate like this? I have no fluorite, sand, or soil and would not be interested in investing in a substrate makeover.

3) I don't want to have to deal with CO2 or fertilizers.

Zilla, do you still think java moss could work for me?

Zilla
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
You wouldn't have to worry about any of that. All you'd need to do is attach it to either the piece of bogwood you already have or get a second piece and let the moss grow on that.

To anchor it, you can use a cotton thread or fishing line. Either one will work although the fishing line will have to be removed in a month or so. Just make sure the moss is fully attached before cutting the line.

Place the piece of wood w/ the moss where it gets some light ( it doesn't need full light) and some water movement, and there ya go.

It can't get any easier. No messing with ferts ( the moss will absorb nutrients from the water) fancy substrates and all that jazz.

raulfd4
04-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Yay! :19:

I love having a good reason to go to the LFS and actually buy something!

Wild Turkey
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
You want to make sure the lamp(bulb) you are using is the right Kelvin rating for growing plants, (between 5000 and 10000)as long as it is you shouldnt have a problem growing moss, it doesnt need very much light at all.

raulfd4
04-14-2010, 02:04 AM
From what I can gather from Aqueon's website and catalog (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/012/23820.pdf) , my hood comes with a "full-spectrum fluorescent lamp". I can't find any specification on how many K, etc. my bulb is.

Any idea what this means?

Zilla
04-14-2010, 02:18 AM
As long as it isn't one of the incandescent ( screw in type) bulbs, you're good. The bulbs that come with the hood are rated 8,000 K. If it is a incandescent bulb, you can find 6500K CFL bulbs at Walmart. They are put out by GE and come in packages of 2. I use (2) 13-watters over my 20 gallon and they get the job done with no problem.

I like them as they do not give off any real amount of heat, but they also give off clean light unlike some bulbs that turn everything either pink, blue or green.

raulfd4
04-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Okay cool. Yeah, it isn't an incandescent bulb, so I think I am in the clear. Thanks for the reassurance!

One other thing: I keep my light on a timer, about 13 hours per day. I am home a lot and I like to be able to see the little buggers. Is this too much light? Not an issue?

Brhino
04-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Have you inspected the bulb itself? They almost always have information (part number, wattage, possibly spectrum) printed on them.

troy
04-14-2010, 02:34 AM
The amano shrimp should be fine. If they are more active than usual picking at algae, they are hungry. I have had my amano shrimp for over a year now and I rarely have to give it some extra food.

raulfd4
04-14-2010, 03:22 AM
There is nothing written on the bulb itself.

On the plastic surrounding the bulb, there is a sticker saying "Shelly A210A"

raulfd4
04-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Her are some pics of my installation of the moss. Criticism is welcome.

Rhaethe
04-14-2010, 03:51 AM
Placement looks fine :ssmile:

I would have used black cotton thread, though. Much thinner and not noticeable.

raulfd4
04-14-2010, 04:08 AM
Placement looks fine :ssmile:

I would have used black cotton thread, though. Much thinner and not noticeable.

There was white cotton thread in the pantry. That's what I used. Any idea how long it will take for the moss to take root? 2 - 3 weeks?

raulfd4
04-15-2010, 11:37 PM
Called up AQUEON. The bulb is confirmed at 8000K. So I should be good...right?