PDA

View Full Version : What to add to a 29 Gallon setup?

LuisV
04-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Just got this 29 gallon tank...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/speedy_2/IMG_0306.jpg

Replaced a biocube 29 that kept leaking......

Now that the tank situation is fixed, I'd like to add more fish. This takes seems more empty compared to the Biocube.

Currently I have..

1 Angelfish
6 Neon Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Cory Catfish

Seems like there's only a handful of fish that the stores say I should mix with my current setup. Hoping to get some suggestions here. :ssmile:

Brhino
04-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Corys like to be in a school of their own kind. You might think about picking up some more of them. Tank looks great, by the way.

EmmanuelJB
04-13-2010, 02:53 AM
The first thing I would do is get 5 more corrys. They are schooling fish. A few platys would be nice. You could even do another school of tetras. If I think of somthing else I will add it!

-Again VERY nice tank!

LuisV
04-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Thanks. Was wondering about Corys. The one gets along so well. I didn't know if he "needed" more friends or not. But, would be nice to see a few together. Wouldn't mind more Tetras as well, I really like them.

wolf_eyes
04-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Whatever cory species you have, I would suggest you get 5 more of them. Cories are an extremely social group of fish and really show all their cute antics when they are in a school. This will also up the activity in the tank.

I would be weary of the neons with the angelfish. When he/she gets to full size, those neons will fit in the angel's mouth. In the fish world, if it can fit, it's going to end up as food. Some people have success if the angel is raised up with the neons but I think it fails more than it succeeds.

I would suggest a bigger school of neons (if you still want to keep them) or a new, bigger school of a larger or deeper bodied tetra. A nice big school of a single species looks very stunning.

EmmanuelJB
04-13-2010, 02:58 AM
I would be weary of the neons with the angelfish. When he/she gets to full size, those neons will fit in the angel's mouth. In the fish world, if it can fit, it's going to end up as food. Some people have success if the angel is raised up with the neons but I think it fails more than it succeeds.

I thought of that too... Hopefully they don't become food. My angels are fine with my zebra danios though. Than again zebras get a bit bigger than neons, plus my angels aren't fully grown.

LuisV
04-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Ok. going to get somr Corys. May also get a few more Tetras. Any thoughts on other animals that aren't fish? I have no clue how they get along with certain fish. but, hearing about shrimp, crabs, etc sounds neat. :-)

I also read that the Angel won't really mess with the tetras if fed well. Which is the case so far in my tank. The angel chased them a few days after I got them. Since then nothing at all.

TheManOfTomorrow
04-20-2010, 02:59 AM
It's hard to see real close in the tank, but I would add more plants if I were you. Throw a few bigger ones in the back, and a few small ones closer up. Fake or real, the difference in the temperament of my fish is like night and day when its well planted. Especially if you have shyer fish, like loaches. As for fish, I am a big fan of angel fish, so I would recommend a few of them. I also am a big fan of clown loaches or polka dotted loaches. Those would be fun zipping around the bottom. They'll love that little cave on the right.

TheManOfTomorrow
04-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Oh, and as for compatibility with angels and other fish, my experience has been mixed. I've had a few aquariums, and just recently got back into the hobby. My angels do fine with my danios, and I have a few long-finned danios. When I used to keep them with neons, they did ok, but once the angels got big, the neons started disappearing. I have mollies now too, and actually my mollies are meaner than my angels. They picked on my angels when they were first introduced to the tank, and finally one of my angels handed a molly a big F-U. No problems since.

cichlids209
04-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Nice looking tank thumbs2: just fyi the corys will benefit from sand substrate . also have you thought of putting a background on the tank ? it will look better and the fish will be more relaxed otherwise great looking tank .

Lady Hobbs
04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Stick with more corys of the same species. And you definately need more hiding places for those neons. Your fish do not care for rocks and decorations as much as they'd like plants to hide in.

evilstench
04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
if you put plenty of plants in you cant see the back of the tank!

Lindsey
04-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I'd build up the stocking on your neons and corys and leave the angel and dwarf gourami to be single centerpiece fish. What I regret most about stocking my 29g is that instead of going with one or two really nice schools, I have tons of species and no more than 3 of each.. it looks like a mishmash. Great looking tank, have fun finishing it up!