PDA

View Full Version : Discus colour

Full3R
05-18-2007, 07:51 AM
My discus colour since i bought isnt as vibrant, at the lfs they had them in a tank consiting of a fine gravel and a blue back and sides, i have a tank which has numerous hiding spots and plants dedeicated to my discus and one black ghost theyre colours very rarley stick out whats wrong?

Lady Hobbs
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
All I know about Discus is that they need very clean water (large water changes often) and soft water with low pH. Perhaps you need to get some color enhancing food if you haven't already.

Fishguy2727
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
NLS has a very good discus food. I would do sand (at least I would not and plan on switching mine into a sand bottom tank). They also like a lot of driftwood. The best is pieces that are long and thin so you can arrange them vertically to mimic the roots they are used to hiding in in nature. A group of 5-7 is ideal. And dither fish may help them relax. I have a school of bloodfins, but rummynose and cardinals will work very well too. I would go with the cardinals. Cleanliness in the tank may help with bristlenose plecos and sterbai cories. A temp of 86F is ideal. What size tank is it again? What filtration? What is the current water change schedule? How many discus?

2manyfish
05-20-2007, 08:33 AM
So in your tank you have 2 discus and 1 black ghost knifefish? How big of a tank is this? I would remove the BGK from the tank. BGK are more nocturnal which will disturb the discus, and they give off a mild electric current which will not make the discus happy either.
Then, if the tank is big enough (55g), I'd get 3 more discus and put some of your platies in the tank with them. Not only are platies good dithers but their offspring will be greatly enjoyed by the discus!!
Discus like being in groups, unless of course they have paired up to breed.
As others have said, water quality is very important with these fish....what are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp?

My own experiences with discus is very limited. I had 4 in a 40g heavily planted tank and their tankmates were a school of neons and some platies. They loved hunting down the platy fry!! I only kept them for around a year before I had to cut back drastically on the number tanks I had. While I had them I was doing 10% water changes every other day on their tank!! (My husband thought I was nuts!) Someday I'd like to have them again.....

Got any pics? thumbs2:

Fishguy2727
05-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Platies prefer hard water and much cooler temps than discus.

2manyfish
05-20-2007, 05:34 PM
I never messed with the pH on the tank because I wasn't trying to breed the discus. So the pH was my standard 7.4. The temp was high, 84 but it didn't seem to bother the platies at all, they bred like rabbits!! Didn't have many fry survive though...discus are very patient hunters!

Cal Discus
07-16-2007, 10:00 PM
discus will blend in with their background. if you have a dark tank, background and substrate, they will darken. If you give them plenty of clean water and light tank, they will show their once vibrant colors again.

Full3R
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Oh well their ya go
Mine are in a dark area and darkish tank but the water is clean, ill try adding some light, thanx!

salman
07-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Change your lighting. Get a pink light which will bring out the discus' color. Or if the problem isnt from your lighting, then you arnt feeding them high quality food. Order yourself some New Life Spectrum and your fish should show changes in a week. Mine showed from the second day!!

Cal Discus
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
The lighting is not the problem. It is the background, substrate, etc. If you have dark colors in the tank, discus will darken to mimic their environment. It is a natural defense mechanism. If you have light colored background, light colored sand substrate or none at all, you will see the color you desire.

Fishguy2727
07-18-2007, 01:06 AM
I think bright lighting will help (but use white lights, not any colors). My discus are in a dark blue background and on a darker black and white sand, overall it is pretty dark, and they are very brightly colored.

Cal Discus
07-18-2007, 03:55 AM
I think bright lighting will help (but use white lights, not any colors). My discus are in a dark blue background and on a darker black and white sand, overall it is pretty dark, and they are very brightly colored.

If you lightened up your background and substrate, your fish would lose some of that pepper that they are covered with. I'm just going off your pics. They are not very bright but it may just be the lighting. Discus (especially pigeon) will pepper when in dark surroundings.

Fishguy2727
07-18-2007, 01:57 PM
I think peppering is more genetic. It may be slightly variable based on brightness, but I have seen groups in the same tank with completely different amounts of peppering which tells me if it mostly genetic. Mine are very bright.
These are not bright?:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMGP1290.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMGP1286.jpg

Cal Discus
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I think peppering is more genetic. It may be slightly variable based on brightness, but I have seen groups in the same tank with completely different amounts of peppering which tells me if it mostly genetic. Mine are very bright.
These are not bright?:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMGP1290.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/IMGP1286.jpg

Uh, can you see the pepper on them??? Yes it is genetic from pigeon blood but I'm telling you that pepper will lighten up with lighter backgrounds and lighter substrates most of the time. Will it go away completely? It may not but it is a fact that discus will blend in with their surroundings as a defense and since you have a dark environment, its no wonder they are covered in pepper.

Fishguy2727
07-19-2007, 01:35 AM
They have always had these colorations. I picked them for their colorations, including the peppering. The one in the top pic has almost no peppering. The bottom two have always had the same amount of peppering (in my dark setup, in a bright bare quarantine tank, and in the bright tanks I picked them from). When dark bachgrounds cause darkening in fish, it is usually in the base colors. Those are what need to change with the background.