PDA

View Full Version : Where are yall getting your fish? Always see same stuff

wildbills 72 gallon
04-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Im in Sugar Land TX. Just south of Houston. I have 3 fish stores around me and they all seem to have the same fish. I am going to do a 72 gal cichlid tank but I always seem to see the same few ones. I see so many other kinds and colors on this site now that Im a member. Also, this fish stores fish are alwasy so small. Where are yall getting your bigger more colorful fish?

wolf_eyes
04-12-2010, 04:25 AM
Bigger cities tend to have more stores/ more options for fish I have found. In my college town we only had one local store and a petsmart. In Vegas, I have 4 really good local fish stores that I go to often with lots more smaller stores or big chains in the area as well. Generally the more stores you have the more unique fish you can get. Another way of getting different fish is online. Fish are shipped to fish stores so buying fish online isn't as strange as it may seem at first. There is anything from big store sites like liveaquaria.com and thatpetplace.com to auction style breeder based sites like Aquabid.com. I tend to look at aquabid everyday just to see what they have. There are some really great fish there.

Northernguy
04-12-2010, 04:34 AM
lol Little fish grow into big fish!
My oscars were barely two inches when I got them.They have easily grow a foot longer since then.
What type of fish are you after? With a 72 you are still limited on what fish can get.Some fish grow faster then others.If you are after a predator type fish then you will need a bigger tank.

wildbills 72 gallon
04-12-2010, 04:42 AM
lol Little fish grow into big fish!
My oscars were barely two inches when I got them.They have easily grow a foot longer since then.
What type of fish are you after? With a 72 you are still limited on what fish can get.Some fish grow faster then others.If you are after a predator type fish then you will need a bigger tank.

i want colorful cichlids and maybe a few bala sharks.

leggomypleco
04-12-2010, 04:47 AM
How is this for different all of my fish are ordered from Thi and are worth every bit of the money
http://www.flowerhorncraze.com/uploads/monthly_10_2008/post-38-1224770286.jpg

Northernguy
04-12-2010, 05:02 AM
If you can get a Flowerhorn you may not be able to keep much with it for long.The balas might be fast enough.
They get down right ornery!lol
Africans are would work.Unfortunately frontosas would outgrow it though.

cichlids209
04-12-2010, 05:09 AM
i want colorful cichlids and maybe a few bala sharks.

Welcome to the AC :)

have u any ideas on any cichlids you may like ? i would not count on the bala sharks as you are generally supposed to have them in groups of 6 and can get well over a foot long

i suggest research as much as you can

have u checked online for fish livefishdirect is a good place for cichlids

wildbills 72 gallon
04-12-2010, 05:09 AM
If you can get a Flowerhorn you may not be able to keep much with it for long.The balas might be fast enough.
Africans are would work.Unfortunately frontosas would outgrow it though.
what is a flowerhorn and frontosas

Northernguy
04-12-2010, 05:12 AM
A frontosa is the pic in Danes avatar and the flower horn is the big pic that was posted.

thatcichlidguy
04-12-2010, 05:22 AM
I get mine locally but I hear what your saying. Most store get juvies because they're small so more fish in their tanks to sell. Second That's how most distributors sell them. Third Large fish are more expensive than juvies because of the time and effort (and food and other supplies) needed to grow them out. Really as long as you know what your getting then juvies are really the way to go on cost and gives you a chance to grow out more at once for potential breeding . That refers to the practice of getting several young fish and letting them choose their own mates.

Now if you really want adult or sub adult sized fish then you can either take a trip into Houston and spend the day hunt down the LFS there, or go online and see whos got adults for sale. Aquabid's a good start as well as Tangled up in cichlids, and Ken Davis's Fish Farm. Kens still got a few spots open for one his collecting trips to Uruguay this fall. You want adult fish that's ultimate way right there. Catch'em yourself LOL. I'd check online though , cheaper than going to South America but less fun.

I'm a bit spoiled though. I have a good LFS that sells lots of adult and sub adult sized fish. Pricey but very good stock and not the run of the mill species either. Since I moved to the east coast (from Texas myself) There are way more species in the shops here than back home. Lots of stuff I'd only seen Pics of on the net. Now if your ever up around Dallas or Ft. Worth check out Keller Farms. They have (or did last time I was there) just about anything you could want. Great place. I've bought from them and highly recommend taking a trip up there if at all possible.

leggomypleco
04-12-2010, 05:42 AM

This is a myth and only said by ones who has never kept flowerhorns. I just posted this pic in another thread this is proof that flowerhorns can live in a community setup by people saying this it steers a lot of people away from owning these amazing fish
http://www.flowerhorncraze.com/uploads/monthly_03_2010/post-385-1269737365_thumb.jpg

i_am_511
04-12-2010, 07:25 AM
The best choice for you would be search google with your zip code and search nearby and type in fish store/pet store/pet shop/aquarium store etc.

I did a run off 77074 which is the zip code for a La Quinta inn on southwest freeway in houston....Thats really close to Sugar Land.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=2418488185382009801&q=fish+store&hl=en&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=o8jCS5f0DpukM8nYuJQM

wildbills 72 gallon
04-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Welcome to the AC :)

have u any ideas on any cichlids you may like ? i would not count on the bala sharks as you are generally supposed to have them in groups of 6 and can get well over a foot long

i suggest research as much as you can

have u checked online for fish livefishdirect is a good place for cichlids
if I got 2 or 3 small bala sharks I asume it would take awhile for them to grow? I want a freshwater with colorful fish that resemble saltwater. I know its not the same but cichlids and some shark species are the closest to this I can think of correct?

Irish2539
04-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Well no,,, If Balla's are kept in the right conditions they grow quite fast. U might run into probs with them.

Cichlid wise... Maybe firemouths? Blue Acara.. Severum,

wildbills 72 gallon
04-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Well no,,, If Balla's are kept in the right conditions they grow quite fast. U might run into probs with them.

Cichlid wise... Maybe firemouths? Blue Acara.. Severum,
how fast is fast? Ive read they rarely grow more than 7 inches but CAN become bigger. I just like them. If they get to big I can alwasy trade them in I suppose

Time-Out
04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
A lot of places will no longer take home-aquarium cast-offs. Public aquariums are overrun with fish that got too big for their aquarium. If you really want those sharks, you ought to get them the right sized tank, otherwise get fish the right size for the tank you're getting. You could try a rainbow shark, smaller and more colourful than a bala!

Irish2539
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Yeah rainbow or red tailed shark is great idea.
I have a 13" Bala. I also have a 9" male balla who isnt growing any bigger but males tend to be smaller. Yeah its true Bala's dont get much bigger then 7" in an aquarium but thats because generally Their tanks just arent big enough.

If u do keep them they are gonna crowd ur tank... And it will limit or choice of cichlids.

mine are like 8 years old... so i dont rly remeber growth rate... But barbs tend to get pretty big within a year or so...

Irish2539
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I know why u wud wanna keep em they are great lookin fish. Here is my big guy.
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/Irish2539/fish/Fish016.jpg

Here is a old pic of my Red tailed shark... Much more suitable for ur tank.
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/Irish2539/fish%202/Redtailedshark.jpg

Aeonflame
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Balas are swift fish that need room to swim. Couple that with the fact that they grow to about a foot long. They tend to be skittish in small numbers, and with aggressive cichlids expect them to be even more so. I would advise against the balas. As for cichlids, Ive seen severums done in a nice 75 gallon planted tank.

Lady Hobbs
04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Totally agree with Aeonflame! Bala's are neat fish but the speed that they swim can disrupt others in the tank and cause themselves injury when they slam into the glass and decorations. They are also schooling fish.

Severums are nice fish.

jimw/oscar
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Totally agree with Aeonflame! Bala's are neat fish but the speed that they swim can disrupt others in the tank and cause themselves injury when they slam into the glass and decorations. They are also schooling fish.

Severums are nice fish.

They can get spooked easy and slam into the side of the tank hurting or even killing them.

Jaster
04-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I get all my fish from the same guy. P&C pet and supply. He's a local mom and pop shop and he's always getting cool stuff in. Which is probably why I have 7 tanks running right now... :hmm3grin2orange: If you know what you want and he doesnt have it he'll track it down. The fish are always healthy and if there is an issue he makes sure you're happy when you leave.
The bigger stores around here like petsmart, ect... pretty much always have the same stuff all the time. I dont trust the fish anyway...
I will say I pay a bit more for some stuff but for the service I get its worth it.

toddnbecka
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Colorful fish similar to saltwater would be Malawi mbuna or peacocks. Whatever fish you decide you want to keep, spend some time researching their requirements and compatability. If you can't find what you want locally, and your lfs can't or won't order fish for you, check out aquabid.com for the best variety.

wildbills 72 gallon
04-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys...so peacocks are a type of cichlid right? They are very pretty. Also, how big to rainbow and redtail sharks get because the ones at my local shop are tiny

toddnbecka
04-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Yes, peacocks are Malawi (African Rift lake) cichlids. Redtails and rainbows grow to 6". I once saw a black shark, basically the same as the redtail but black all over, in an lfs display tank. The bugger was close to 10" long, and very plump all around.

wildbills 72 gallon
04-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Yes, peacocks are Malawi (African Rift lake) cichlids. Redtails and rainbows grow to 6". I once saw a black shark, basically the same as the redtail but black all over, in an lfs display tank. The bugger was close to 10" long, and very plump all around.
Thanks, ill probably just do cichlids, a redtail, and a rainbow shark. Cant wait to get this tank setup

190MPH
04-13-2010, 10:12 AM
If you do decide to do an African Rift lake cichlid tank, Dave's Rare Fish in San Antonio is nearly second to none IMO, even if you have to get them shipped.