PDA

View Full Version : how do bettas thrive?

korweabo0
04-12-2010, 02:14 AM
i recently bought a crowntail who has amazing colors (yellow fins, very dark brown/black body and a seemingly small blue glitter from it's eyes).

anyways, he is currently in a 10g tank which has a crack in the front left side on the side, so i try not to have the water pass that part. the temperature is at a steady room temp. which is a 78-82 degrees. i don't have decor in it, but it has at least 5 lb's of gravel.

i plan on switching the tank and gravel color from blue to black or brown(sand) whenever i'm able to get the money.

now back to my question. how exactly do bettas thrive? how should i feed it and what? i have generic betta food and pellets. but i've heard people feed it peas during times of distress.

i want my betta to live longer than what their said time is! so throw me some tips,

thanks!

Wild Turkey
04-12-2010, 02:25 AM
How high is the tank filled currently? I would try to replace it if possible 10 gallons are only 10-15 dollars.

Bettas like slow moving current.

Betta pellets are great, you can feed freeze dried or frozen foods like bloodworms as a treat twice a week after the pellets.

Skinned peas help digestion and bloat but if you feed in small doses you shouldnt have problems.

Live plants can really make fish feel more at home.

A heater might be good, a stready 80f is preferable.

Other than that, keep up on the water changes as always.

Spartanhockey89
04-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Water changes on a tank for any fish will improve its quality of life.

korweabo0
04-12-2010, 02:35 AM
i know of the water changes and temperatures. i just wanted to go further in information as to what kind of plants do they like most, tank mates, foods besides the regular pellets, etc.

also; the 10g is half filled. and i'm looking hard for that replacement..

HeatherH
04-12-2010, 04:01 PM
I give my bettas live mosquito larvae from my water fountain out in the front yard. The other fish love pounding them,too. They're free,clean as long as you get them from a controlled water source and make sure you don't dump a bunch in at once,just a couple at a time.

I used an eye dropper to drop them in 2 or so at a time and the fish murdered them fast.

Spartanhockey89
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
java or christmas moss goes well with the bettas, as does hornwort. They love stuff they can just float in. For food, small (very small) slices of fruit may be accepted, but only in moderation. A varied diet is best, but look for a mainstay food, which its seems you have already in the pellets. Try small worms like tubifex or bloodworms, brine shrimp, or mosquito larvae, like mentioned above. If your betta seems bored, you can actually try adding a ping pong ball to the top and see if he'll knock it around. Tankmates can be pretty easy, so long as you avoid anything with long fins and bright colors. Gouramis are probably a no, as are angels due to the tank size. A school of tetras should work. If you replacing the tank, try and find a bigger one, as this will only increase your fish options. You'll probably be wishing you had in the future if you don't.

korweabo0
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
java or christmas moss goes well with the bettas, as does hornwort. They love stuff they can just float in. For food, small (very small) slices of fruit may be accepted, but only in moderation. A varied diet is best, but look for a mainstay food, which its seems you have already in the pellets. Try small worms like tubifex or bloodworms, brine shrimp, or mosquito larvae, like mentioned above. If your betta seems bored, you can actually try adding a ping pong ball to the top and see if he'll knock it around. Tankmates can be pretty easy, so long as you avoid anything with long fins and bright colors. Gouramis are probably a no, as are angels due to the tank size. A school of tetras should work. If you replacing the tank, try and find a bigger one, as this will only increase your fish options. You'll probably be wishing you had in the future if you don't.

thanks a lot for this. but as you said bettas like to float on plants. is it safe to say my betta is doing the same? he doesn't swim much at all but pretty much sits on a little decor i have in the tank for him. he's done this since i bought him. although i thought he was stressed from the sized container he was in so now i'm worried he's sick. i dusted the tank with a small portion of aquarium salt to be safe and he seems more lively now. but i'm still unsure of this senario.

and my bulb burned out this morning so i'm going to desperately try and find a bigger tank replacement for him. for now he's been moved into a room with moderated light.

seems my luck is going downhill, but i will stay positive! :(

Brhino
04-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I give my bettas live mosquito larvae from my water fountain out in the front yard.

do you have larvae appearing yet down there in Illinois? I'm in Michigan, and I tried leaving a bucket of old tank water outside for two days... nothing appeared in it. I'm trying again now.

Sarkazmo
04-13-2010, 12:02 AM
A filter is a must, so is a heater.

Java Moss, Willow Moss, Flame Moss, Xmas Moss, Marimo Moss Balls (actually an algae that's very cool,) Hornwort, generally any soft, fluffy plant.

The biggest tank you can afford is really the way to go. A bigger tank is easier to care for and water chemistry changes happen slower so you have more time to find problems and take care of them than in a small tank. It also opens up the options for tank mates.

I recommend Hikari Bio-Betta Gold for food. It's a great food and more easily found than other high quality foods.

Sark

korweabo0
04-13-2010, 03:05 AM
according to: http://www.better-bettas.com/a/betta-fish-diseases.shtml / http://www.better-bettas.com/a/betta-fish-diseases-2.shtml

my betta seems to have ich. it's fins are closed, it barely swims and it sticks to the bottom edges of the tank or sits on my decor and doesn't move. although i haven't really confirmed this, it seems to be the case.

i completely changed the water today, and rasied the temperature to 85 degrees, just so it wont be too hot but hot enough to kill off whatever is in the tank. i also poured in a teaspoon of aquarium salt and the other generic liquids to reduce the chemicals in water.

i hope he feels better tomorrow morning. i'll keep this up for the week.
i'm currently frantic, i need to go out and completely buy a new tank, bulb, filter and heater(using my 20g tank heater for this tank). i hope it's not too late!

edit: i'm going to take a few pictures of him, i'll upload in a few.
edit2: couldn't get any shots of him. i'll try tomorrow morning.
edit3: i'll create a new thread tomorrow morning.

Lady Hobbs
04-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm confused. First you say you have your Betta in room temp of 78-82 which sounds like you do not have a heater and then you say you turned your heater up to 85, indicting that you do have a heater.

You definately need a new tank and a filter so you can have a cycled tank. You can't cycle a tank without a filter. You should have had your tank set up and cycled before you bought your fish, really, which would have prevented him all this stress.

korweabo0
04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
he's all better now. all he had was ich.

the container i had him in while treating his ich was what was in room temperature water(78-82 degrees) then his tank has the heater which is 80-85 degrees.

the tank IS cycled and he does have a filter.