PDA

View Full Version : Red Tail Catfish Help......

kaileighbrown
04-12-2010, 12:49 AM
I have a 135 gal fish tank and 4 oscars, 5 tinfoil barbs, and 2 red tail catfish.. Now recently the catfish have been acting funny. They've been floating at the bottom of the tank with their tails down and faces up.. And their left eye, on both, are cloudy. I don't know what could be the problem. They eat fine, occasionally gold fish, pellets, and shrimp.. Any help would be appriciated.. Thank you

Northernguy
04-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!
We need to more about the tank and maintenance. How much filtration? Thats a lot of bio load!
How often are the water changes? How much how often?
How big are the fish?
Also what are the perameters?

kaileighbrown
04-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Well I have 2 canister filters on them.. 1 that uses media and the other uses a sponge filtration with a UV light.. We change the water maybe once every 2 weeks.. And we change most of the water, maybe like 75%.. And the 2 oscars are about a foot long, and the smaller oscars are about maybe 5''-7'' long.. The barbs are maybe 4" a piece.. There is no rocks or gravel, no plants, no nothing, I haven't gotten around to that yet.. And I don't know what the perameter is.. The tempature is usually around 75 degrees though..

Northernguy
04-12-2010, 05:09 AM
How big are the RTCs you are asking about?
Your perameters would help too.
You should have more filtration on that tank.I am guessing that your fish are suffering from the toxins.You need to do at least two large water changes every week even when you have proper filtration.
Those fish are all very high on the bio load and the filters you have can no way take care of that.
I am also sorry to say that your tank is no where near big enough for the cats.They get massive.
Start doing some daily water changes for a few days and then do a couple a week.Your fish will come around but that they need more room.I know its not what you want to hear but that is my opinion.

Crispy
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Stop introducing feeder goldfish to your tank for starters. They'll be constantly introducing unwanted stuff to your tank. Substitute diced shrimp or fish fillets into their diet and keep the water pristine.

VoidParadigm
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Greetings! You're going to hate me by the time you're done reading this post.

1) As Crispy said, stop introducing Goldfish. It really is un-needed, and fresh fillets from the local grocery store do just as well. Besides that, a goldfish who's grown up on flake food it's whole life has very little nutritional value anyways.

2) Have you been quarantining the goldfish before adding them? If not, bam, there's part of your problem.

3) Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank.

4) Red-tail Catfish (Both Americans and Asians, you didn't specify) get way too large for your aquarium, will eventually try to eat even your biggest fish, and really need a medium sized heated pond to be happy. They can potentially get three feet long when not stunted, with reports of five feet not entirely impossible.

You need to get rid of them. Simple, the truth, and there is no way around it.

5) If you want to keep all your Oscars, you need to get rid of all the Tinfoil Barbs. (But you'll still need to do 40% or more waterchanges each week, especially as the other Oscars grow.)

6) If you want to keep all your Barbs, you need to get rid of at least two, preferably three Oscars, and bump up waterchanges to 50% per week.

7) Do you have a water testing kit? We need your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings.

Bristley
04-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I would also have to agree with the suggestions from Void, Cripsy and NG.

Also, as Void asked, do you have a testing kit for your water? Don't use the strips as they are unreliable. Get a liquid test kit. API Master is good.

Piscine
04-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I agree as well. That fish is going to be a mammoth!!! You are best to get rid of it as soon as possible while you still can. Once it gets 3 feet long, you will probably have a problem finding someone to take it.

Aeonflame
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM
I think that tank is big enough for just the oscars. You've gotten a lot of good advice above. Not much to add to that.