PDA

View Full Version : my betta story

Porcelina
04-11-2010, 02:54 PM
I just wanted to share a quick story about my old betta and why I think they're remarkable.

When I was 6 or 7, I had a little purple betta that I kept in a bowl, it had to have been at most a gallon or so. I of course knew nothing about keeping fish, so this poor guy lived in untreated tap water his whole life! Other than that I took pretty good care of him, doing water changes all the time and feeding him appropriately. Understand that at the time neither me nor my dad knew any better. We were told he would be fine in a bowl. I now realize that's not true at all.

The remarkable thing is he lived for a long time. I got him in first grade and he didn't die until the end of junior high, so I'd say about 6-7 years. Looking back I feel bad but he always seemed happy, just him and a plastic plant in a fishbowl. I've always wanted to get another one but next time around I'll go with a heated 10g. Since my LFS is remodeling they have tons of used 10g tanks with gravel and decorations on sale for 10 dollars and I have an old heater that didn't quite do it for my 29 gallon, so it may be an option.

Northernguy
04-11-2010, 03:49 PM
That is incredible!
I thought they only had a three yr life span.
I feel a the ten gallon is a perfect tank for a betta.
Mine has an Aqua clear 20 on it and a small heater.

oranda man
04-11-2010, 04:40 PM
wow you had one spectacular fish didnt you he was a surviver

Porcelina
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM
He had to have lived at least 5 years, because when I bought him I had just started elementary school and he didn't pass away til I had reached middle school. I'm in my 20s now and my dad even remembers it to this day as the fish that wouldn't die. It was the only fish I'd ever owned until recently too. He lived on my homework desk in a little bowl for years! I'm surprised to hear that they don't live very long because my guy definitely was not kept in the best conditions. But yeah, he definitely lived a freakishly long time. I do remember that I changed the water almost every day for him because my dad made me do it. It was still tap water though!

SunSchein89
04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
If I remember correctly, I think they can live up to even 8-10 years if kept in good conditions with filter, heater, etc. Living for five years in a bowl is rather surprising to say the least, you must've taken pretty good care of it.

Porcelina
04-11-2010, 08:01 PM
All I really did for him in the way of care was lots of water changes (and I remember using just the cold faucet when I did so :(...) and feeding him the freeze dried worm cubes. He must have just been a strong fishy.

Northernguy
04-11-2010, 08:03 PM
I think the record is 5 years but 3 yrs is the average.Most don't usually make it that far.
You must have kept exceptional care of it.thumbs2:
I sent you a pm.

Porcelina
04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Now I'm seriously wanting to go get one of those 10 gallon tanks, plant it heavily, and get another betta! I really want to see if I can get it to live that long again...:11:

rich311k
04-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Go for it. I love my ten gallon planted betta tanks.

Northernguy
04-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Find a breeder to get your betta from.You can find them on line.
You will have a much hardier fish.
Not sure if anyone here is breeding bettas.

HeatherH
04-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Find a breeder to get your betta from.You can find them on line.
You will have a much hardier fish.
Not sure if anyone here is breeding bettas.

Aquabid.com is bursting with betta breeders. You'll find pages of them,and they're not all the show quality bettas. Some of them are just extras they didn't cull.

Northernguy
04-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I would like to find the one that breeds for quality not quantity.
lol Like that's gonna happen!:hmm3grin2orange:
Aquabid is a good idea but I would like to find a somewhere I can visit.Not mail order.That way I get to choose one.
Heather did you get a betta from there?
Has anyone here?

HeatherH
04-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I would like to find the one that breeds for quality not quantity.
lol Like that's gonna happen!:hmm3grin2orange:
Aquabid is a good idea but I would like to find a somewhere I can visit.Not mail order.That way I get to choose one.
Heather did you get a betta from there?
Has anyone here?

I get 90% of everything I own-fish included off of aquabid.com. I've sold fish I've bred on there since '02 or '03 I think.

I rarely get anything at the LFS unless I'm with someone who wants to go look at the baby bunnies and I see something I like. :hmm3grin2orange:

At one time I was up to like 28 bettas,trying to breed them, Got about 25 or so from aquabid. Yeah,I had a betta addiction once.

(No,not trying to pimp out stuff I have for sale on there. lol haven't sold fish on there for years!)