PDA

View Full Version : Irked with CL Responder

190MPH
04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Recently I posted ads both here and other places, including CL, for either a 33 or 40 long tank. I had a few well meaning responses, but they were all 55 gallon tanks, which is what I want to replace, because of height issues. So yesterday I got another response, to the effect of "What do you consider a ridiculous price?" So I wrote back to ask what he had. The reply was something like, "I'm tired of all of the BSers out there so I'll ask again, what do you consider a ridiculous price?" He included a phone number and a MySpace page. Plus his e-mail was based on his alleged business. I basically said $1/g for used, give or take a bit, are you selling used or new. The response was ALL USED, but you won't get the size you want for $1/g. They sell for $3-4 new and get more that usual for used, I've sold tons of tanks blah, blah, blah. And he keeps asking for what I consider ridiculous. I wrote back that I can't imagine he sells many with the tone of his conversations, and that it would have been easier to just say I have an "x" gallon tank for "x" dollars. My last message was "What do you have and at what price?"

How would you have handled this? Because it sure seemed brash and rude on my end.

Lady Hobbs
04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
I would have ended the conversation. No point in taking it further.

Northernguy
04-11-2010, 03:53 PM
"I'll give you twenty bucks for the tank",wait for a reply and then move on!

This moron wants to get rich quick.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sarkazmo
04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I can't say on here what I'd say to him.

Sark

Algenco
04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
My guide is $.50g up to 30g
$.75 40-75g
$1g 90-150
$1.50g 175 and up

The was a 500g / 2 Eheim canisters, UV, lights, stand and fish that sold for $900 recently

HeatherH
04-11-2010, 08:49 PM
I offer what i think is fair (and reasonable for both parties) and occasionally you get the self proclaimed "official used tank seller" a-hole who I never email back. I look for the people who NEED to get rid of it and have some sense of desperation,they will sell it to you fairly and cheaply.

Some people try to sell tanks for a ridiculous profit,and I really love it when they say "all you have to do is add water,then the fish!".

Those are the idiots you want to look for. :hmm3grin2orange:

tanks4thememories
04-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Recently I posted ads both here and other places, including CL, for either a 33 or 40 long tank. I had a few well meaning responses, but they were all 55 gallon tanks, which is what I want to replace, because of height issues. So yesterday I got another response, to the effect of "What do you consider a ridiculous price?" So I wrote back to ask what he had. The reply was something like, "I'm tired of all of the BSers out there so I'll ask again, what do you consider a ridiculous price?" He included a phone number and a MySpace page. Plus his e-mail was based on his alleged business. I basically said $1/g for used, give or take a bit, are you selling used or new. The response was ALL USED, but you won't get the size you want for $1/g. They sell for $3-4 new and get more that usual for used, I've sold tons of tanks blah, blah, blah. And he keeps asking for what I consider ridiculous. I wrote back that I can't imagine he sells many with the tone of his conversations, and that it would have been easier to just say I have an "x" gallon tank for "x" dollars. My last message was "What do you have and at what price?"

How would you have handled this? Because it sure seemed brash and rude on my end.

When I move I typically sell all of my tanks (usually starting at half price and working my way down to settling for 1/3) and buy new ones in the city I'm moving to. I buy them used. I pay 1/3 or less than wholesale price. Well in advance of the time I am moving I start searching for the tanks I want. I rarely have more than 2 rounds of conversation weather it is e-mail or telephone or text. No matter how idiotic the seller seems I try to keep it civil as possible, it is my experience that if you keep communications open they sometimes come back. The first round usually goes something like this: "I see you are selling a used 125 gallon tank with equipment. I usually pay 1/3 of the cost of the tank new. Here is a website showing the prices of new tanks. Is this acceptable? If not please keep me in mind if you do not get the price you are expecting." Then from there I move on. If someone is serious it is my experience that they will not waste your time with multiple comments beyond price and status of items for sale. It is also my experience that 1st time sellers have an artificial view of what they think they can get for their equipment and must suffer through a few days to weeks of no sale to realize how good your offer truly is. Hope this helps GL!!!thumbs2:

190MPH
04-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all of the help and support. Ironically, the last email response I got from him after all of that was.."I don't have any tanks of that size right now."

What a moron! Why even bother to respond then. I think I will message him back saying that HE was the one wasting time then.

tanks4thememories
04-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all of the help and support. Ironically, the last email response I got from him after all of that was.."I don't have any tanks of that size right now."

What a moron! Why even bother to respond then. I think I will message him back saying that HE was the one wasting time then.

Let it ride, eventually he will come to the full realization of what a moron he is when he is ready to see the truth in himself till then any attempts to point out this fact will just make him mad further clouding the real issue which is the fact that he IS a moron...rotfl