PDA

View Full Version : I Shall Call Him Boris

Rhaethe
04-10-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't even have the guy yet, but I want to call him Boris. Dunno why, but there ya go ;)

I'm finding that I have a 5g open, and I've decided that I would like to plant out the tank with some crypts, in addition to the sunset hygro and sparse hairgrass I have in there currently. Might even toss a marimo ball in there. There's a cave deco that I've made sure has no rough edges or places he could get hung on.

Do any of those plants sound like ones a betta would tear into or loathe?

Also, if I choose to acquire a female betta, would a pair need a larger tank, or would the 5g be fine? Do males and females fight?

My other two concerns are with the tank itself. It's a hex, and around 12 inches tall. I have read where its best that bettas have shorter tanks to allow them ease in coming to the top, would 12 inches be fine? Oh! And temperature ... the heater in it keeps the water at 78-79.5 ... I don't want to monkey with teh setting again... would that temp be fine?

The tank itself has an AQ20 on it. Great at filtration, but even with the flow turned all the way down, it can be pretty strong. Half of the tank is open air ... how much of a jumper are bettas?

I think that's it for right now .... am trying to make sure I have all my cards in a row before I find "Boris" and plop him in the tank :ssmile:

rich311k
04-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Plants are fine. Not a good idea to mix a male and a female. He will not like her in his territory unless he is ready to spawn. You could put a sponge on the intake to slow the filter down more.

kel
04-10-2010, 11:15 PM
I hear that they are quite the jumpers so a lid is a must.

korith
04-10-2010, 11:17 PM
The male betta will probably injure and hassle the female constantly until it poofs or you end up removing one of them from the tank. Like rich said, only time you really should put them together is when they are ready to spawn.

Rhaethe
04-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Allrighty. So a bachelor tank it is.

I'll see if I can find some sort of covering for the other half of the tank. Going to be difficult to find an appropriate piece of acrylic I can put there ... would taped down saran wrap work in the meantime? (or any kind of secure cover, really).

Good idea on the sponge on intake. I'll make sure to remember to get one.

I've got two little zebra rasbora in the tank now keeping the cycle going ... (well, there's also a pearl gourami who is getting rehomed tomorrow, so she doesn't count) would I need to move the rasbora out, or would they be fine to stay?

And lastly, when I go shopping for "Boris", how long could he stay in his cup? The tank will be ready around 5pm tomorrow ... I was thinking of heading to the fish store(s) today or early tomorrow morning and scout things out. I don't anticipate seeing one I like immediately, but if I do, I'd like to know what my time parameters are.

rich311k
04-10-2010, 11:36 PM
He would be fine overnight in his cup. Depends on the fish mine live happily with ember tetras and dwarf corys.

AmyLynn
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing your new man. A lot of hardware stores will cut glass or acrylic to your specific dimensions. Or you can look for a glass/window shop.

kel
04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I'll see if I can find some sort of covering for the other half of the tank. Going to be difficult to find an appropriate piece of acrylic I can put there ... would taped down saran wrap work in the meantime? (or any kind of secure cover, really).

The acrylic shouldn't be too hard to find. They sell it by the sheet at my local Home Depot LINK (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8/R-100282591/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Just measure the opening where the lid would sit and see if they would cut it for you.... Just an Idea.

Rhaethe
04-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Ooo! I didn't think of having the hardware store cut it. Thank you!

I'll give the rasbora a try in there ... if there's too much chasing going on, I'll put them in the 10g.

Okies. Off to the pet store to get the sponge ... I'll go to the one near the Home Depot and see if I can get the acrylic / plastic piece.

Rhaethe
04-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Allrighty. Got all the stuff I'll need.

Ran by the PetCo to take a look. I was under-impressed, but the thought occurred to me:

What are signs that I'd be picking a healthy betta?

I know the little telltales I look for when I'm looking at fish in a tank. But a cup I have no clue.

And is green or dark purple-violet really that hard to find? Seemed like eveyone was white, blue, or red.

korith
04-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Allrighty. Got all the stuff I'll need.

Ran by the PetCo to take a look. I was under-impressed, but the thought occurred to me:

What are signs that I'd be picking a healthy betta?

I know the little telltales I look for when I'm looking at fish in a tank. But a cup I have no clue.

And is green or dark purple-violet really that hard to find? Seemed like eveyone was white, blue, or red.

I had the same problem with my first betta and asked the same questions. http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm here is a link with some pics of conditions you should avoid. Try putting the cup next to another betta cup that it hasn't been near, it may flare a bit which is always a good sign. Ask if you can feed it a pellet or two, to see if it actually eats. Oh I try to avoid ones that are sitting in brown murky water, some shops really slack off on the water changes and neglect them, never a good sign. I always look for generally healthy looking and I like the ones that spaz out when you pick up the cup it's in.

My first betta looked different once I got him home and into an actual tank, color brightened up and actually looked like a different betta.