PDA

View Full Version : white spots ON betta's eyes

Buddha is the Way
04-09-2010, 08:53 PM
HI
I recently transferred my 3 year old betta fish into a 38 gallon aquarium with 4 platies (temp is 77). one week after, i noticed 2 little white spots on the betta's eyes. they are really on the transparent membrane, not behind. Not sure what this is and I have trouble seeing a difference between his behavior before/after the white spots, because i recently got it from a friend and he was in a small bowl that was around 68 Fahrenheit. So he was not very active in there. I could even say that since the white spots occurred he has been moving around a bit more. I'm not sure if it is a disease.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

sheamurai
04-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Really hard to tell from pics, but it could just be cloudy eyes from the change in water quality.
Try doing larger/more frequent water changes.

Buddha is the Way
04-10-2010, 12:00 AM
here are some more cropped pics.

HeatherH
04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Wow it almost looks like fish cataracts...

Could it be due to his age? 3 years old for a betta is like elderly old man betta.

korith
04-10-2010, 04:24 PM
It's hard to tell from the picture. I came across this link http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm . has some pics of bettas and has some great info about diseases. I was thinking popeye but I really don't know.

If you do decide to treat it, probably best to move him to a smaller tank/bowl or something first.

Buddha is the Way
04-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the web site but i have already been on it and none of the diseased on it look anything like what my betta has. I did go to my lfs and he told me that the white spots in his eyes was due to the water quality. So i changed my water today. (it has been a week since i did not). he also told me to put the betta into a cup with some table salt for 4-5 hours daily for around 5 days.
Is this right?

Northernguy
05-04-2010, 11:25 PM
How long has it been set up? Cycled?
What are your perameters?

It sounds to me like the tank is new and not cycled yet.
Did you set it up and add fish?