PDA

View Full Version : Newb to FW, looking for information/books/sites

CatEyes
04-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Hello,

I am a fish enthusiast, but mostly have concentrated my time into saltwater tanks. It's been a few years since I've had a tank, and with my toddler, I'd like to get into it again, as she has really enjoyed our local aquariums and fish stores, enough to prove that she would enjoy a tank at home.

I would like to start out with freshwater, because I know that keeping my saltwater tank was very expensive and quite time consuming, on a daily basis.

I'm looking into a take size of around 30 gallons. And I wanted to see if I could get some information on recommended books for fish species and compatibility, as well as information on live plants.

I also wanted to list some of the fish that I've found that I thought would be fun for my daughter to watch for movement and color, and see what people thought about their compatibility, who works together, who doesn't mix, etc.

So far, these are some of the fish I am interested in:
1. Dwarf Gourami (red fire or red dwarf) - just looking for a larger (yet small enough for a mid size tank) fish with good color.
2. Cardinal Tetras - mostly for grouping, movement, and color.
3. Male Guppy - again for grouping, movement, and color.
4. Killifish - haven't looking into a specific species, but like the size and color
5. Bottom feeders/algae eaters/inverts - something to help maintain the balance of the tank (But I don't know what kind yet...haven't looking into this too much)

Any input would be greatly appreciated, any good reading material as well is greatly appreciated.

As for plants...I haven't decided if I want fake decor or live plants....(or both)...but I was hoping to learn more about plants as well, so information on that would be great too!

Thanks for any replies,
Cat

jay2487
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
anything you could possibly need in the way of info for freshwater fishcan mostly be found to the left in that menu. If you can't find it there just search it. more than likely someone else has already asked and gotten great answers to any question you could think about. Good Luck!!

CatEyes
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Thank you Jay, I hadn't even noticed that article menu.

And already I've found good information in there. thumbs2: Thanks again!