PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates?

Thomosam
04-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi I'm new to the aquarium scene so I decided to start off with a 30 gallon tank to see if I enjoyed the process and to test my skills before I graduate to a larger size tank. The temperature is sitting at about 78F. Lots of hiding spots. No live plants..

I've had a few fish come and go over the last month and a half. Right now there are only 3 fish in my tank.
- Frontosa Cichlid
-Demonsi Cichlid
-Bristlenose Pleco

Our local pet store does not have a lot of options. I found a few fish I really like but I wanted to know if any of them can go with my fish (which are still small and I won't buy a fish that has a big size difference than my own).I only plan to get maybe 2 fish this time around- in the end max 6 fish other than my pleco
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Figure 8 Puffer (The figure 8's are bigger than my fish)
- Blood Parrot (SM)
- Oscar (SM)
- Jeweled Cichlid
- Jack Dempsey (SM)
- Clown Loach
If i can't get those then maybe:
- Auratus Cichlid
- Angelfish

Zilla
04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd suggest you do your research. The only fish that is acceptable on your list just from the current stocking is the pleco.

Red
04-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Frontosa get around a foot long, and can only be kept in a tank above 125. You should return everything besides the pleco and go from there.

Brhino
04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately the three fish you have now are not suitable for each other, to say nothing of adding more fish. Both cichlids would need a bigger tank even with acceptable tankmates, as well. I imagine that you have been buying what catches your eye, which is understandable, but if you want your fish to live very long you really need to do research and planning. The folks here are great at helping with both!

The suggestion to keep the BN pleco and return the other two is a very good one. That will keep your cycle going and leave you with a fish that is suitable for a wide variety of tankmates, giving you time to plan and research.

Brhino
04-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Also, even though you should not add any more fish, I wanted to comment on some of your proposed fish. These are all things that the workers at your fish store should be telling you. If they're not, then you're going to have to become all that more educated on your own.

- Blood Parrot (SM)
- Oscar (SM)
- Jack Dempsey (SM)

I assume your notation (SM) means "small". There is no such thing as a small version of these fish. A small oscar is a baby oscar. A baby oscar will quickly become an adult oscar much too large for your tank, eating everything smaller than itself.

- Green Spotted Puffer
- Figure 8 Puffer (The figure 8's are bigger than my fish)

Both of these species of puffers actually need brackish water, not fresh water. They don't grow that big but they're quite aggressive and will likely attack tankmates.

- Jeweled Cichlid
- Auratus Cichlid

Both of these are fairly aggressive, you'd have to plan tankmates very carefully. Grows a bit too large for your tank, anyhow.

- Clown Loach

A peaceful and entertaining fish, but it grows too big for your tank. It needs tankmates of the same species, multiplying the space issue.

- Angelfish

An Angelfish could probably fit in a tank your size. Larger would be better. You have to pick angelfish tankmates carefully because they're prone to getting picked on.

Northernguy
04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:
Its hard to suggest fish without knowing more about your tank.
The fish you have are not a good mix.Not sure if the Frontosa will get along with the Demonsi but they should be in a much larger tank.
The bn is a fine for a tank of that size but I would expect it to get beat up by the other two.
We have profiles here for all the fish on your list.Check out the profiles on each,its a great help when you are wondering the fish store looking to buy!lol
There are plenty of great deals on used tanks out there too.thumbs2:

Thomosam
04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a friend with a larger tank who will take my frontosa...but i'm kind of stuck with the demonsi...which isn't supposed to grow more than 5 inches or so from what the sign at the store said....are there any fish can i put with the demonsi?
I guess the rule they told me was one inch of fish per gallon...

Tank setup
I have filter which is for 20-40 gallon tanks (tetra brand)
200w heater
a dual outlet air pump ( so two tubes going into the tank)
2 large cave hides, a treasure chest hide and a marina plastic tree to hide behind
Aquarium gravel substrate
I've been feeding flakes so far but i plan to buy some blood worms?
frontosa (been in the tank for 2.5 weeks)
demonsi (in the tank for over a month)
pleco (in the tank for over a month)
thanks for your help

Brhino
04-07-2010, 08:08 PM
The "one inch per gallon" is a oversimplified tool. It'd probably be better for everyone if it was never thought up, because it lets you make some mistaken assumptions. Yes, you could probably make 30 1" neon tetras work in a 30 gallon tank, but you certainly wouldn't put a 30" fish in a 30 gallon tank (it wouldn't be able to move), nor would you want 5 6" fancy goldfish (the water would be filthy).

The main problem with the Pseudotropheus Demasoni is that, like all Mbuna Cichlids, you have to be extremely thoughtful about how you stock them. They need a large school of the same species to spread out their aggression, which in turn means they need a lot of space. That's why it has such a larger space requirement even though it's no bigger than your peaceful Bristlenose Pleco.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/demasoni.php for more info.

Irish2539
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I only started getting into cichlids after 5 years of fishkeeping. I think its best to start of with smaller peaceful fish at first. Maybe some hardy fish like molly's platy's, guppies, some bottom feeders like ottos, cory's, ect.... Once you learn more about diff types of fish and which fish are compatible, get into a routine of tank maintenance ect.. by all means get some cichlids. Or get some now, But i wudnt recommend them if ur starting out... U will have more options Cichlid wise with a bigger tank.

U will learn alot on this site..thumbs2: !!

Welcome to AC btw:22: