PDA

View Full Version : Kid in need

amyleeluver11
05-16-2007, 01:05 PM
on all sites it says u should go with a 10 gallon for breeding bettas but my dad says i can't and my mom says i can so it goes with what he says. I only have a 1 gallon tank is that enough?

Lady Hobbs
05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
I moved your post from the contest thread to the betta thread so you can get some answers.

I don't feel one gallon is enough room for a breeding pair and you have to have a place to put all the fry if and when you have them.

Betta_noob
05-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Breeding bettas is quite an undertaking not to just be done lightly.
Before even putting them together they need to be conditoned, and prepared for the fact that they might beat each other up, rip at each others fins and in the most dire conditions kill each other.
Then if you are able to breed them you have to feed the babies food you grow yourself that you can't get at the pet store. Should they survive you could have more male bettas then you'd know what to do with and they'd all have to be in their own jars and cleaned religiously, and then comes the task for finding homes for them. Pet stores most likely will not take them because everyone is bursting out the gills (haha) with bettas, and you can only give so many to friends.
I think you parents are right in this, and if you're still living at home and require the permission of your parents to breed animals I feel it is too soon for you to be doing so.

cocoa_pleco
05-17-2007, 12:23 AM
10g would be best. They might get cranky in the 1g, and a 1g can barely contain a single betta

Betta_noob
05-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Honestly, the babies would all die. You'd need to clean it way too often and you risk hurting or sucking up the babies every time even with a 10+gallon breeding tank :/

Tails
05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
I've been researching bettas for a long time now, and even I wont undertake breeding just yet....plus I love my guy too much to watch a lady-betta beat him up haha

I agree with the others, its probably not what you wanted to hear, but its best that you wait until you're able to be more independant (who's going to drive you around to sell your bettas if you need to, who's going to buy your tank to breed your betta's fry's food, etc) :) For the meantime, just enjoy your betta for the gorgeous pet he is! :)