PDA

View Full Version : Airstone foam at surface?

jttt3
05-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I was testing some more of my equipment out, and I noticed I got a foam at the surface when using my airstone.

Are there just too many bubbles hitting the surface too fast or is that a chemical in the water?

Once I turn off the airstone, the surface quickly turns back to flat, water I'd say 3-5min.

Thanks

James

Fishguy2727
05-16-2007, 01:18 PM
You have an accidental protein skimmer. Net out the foam. You may need more filtration or water changes. What size tank? What fish? What filtration? What is your water change schedule?

kenyth
05-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Foam means biological waste in the water. Do more water changes.

jttt3
05-16-2007, 09:26 PM
lol thats the funny part, there is only treated tap water and cleaned decor in the tank thus far. No plants, no fish, no cycling chemicals.

I've had the water in the tank for about 4 days now testing all my equipment to make sure it works and will not break down before I even thought about starting to cycle it. The last portion was the airstone, but I get that crazy foam at the top. Im worried it will build up and seep into my lighting somehow, and also worries me that there are chemicals in the water.

This is the tank I have:
http://www.current-usa.com/aquapods.html

It says it can handle both fresh and salt water. The back chamber is pretty slick, though I have my heater in the open water for now, though the tank stays stable at 78F by itself with my normal temp in my apartment, I've never seen it turn on except when the times I've turned the nob to make it come on.

I figured it was either biological or chemical, I didn't use any soaps when cleaning, I followed the stuff I found here and in the e-book to clean my decore, gravel, etc.

James

Chrona
05-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Most likely chemical. The dechlorinators I have used in the past all cause the water to get foamy when agitated for a while. Wait a few days and see if it still does it.

jttt3
05-17-2007, 01:32 AM
You're probably right. I'll wait a few days and see if it dies down. though whats wierd is that if I leave the tank top off, the foam dissapates, but if I leave the hood down, it starts to collect.

I've been skimming the foam off the top every few hours, it seems to take much longer to build up a bunch of it everytime I do.

Here's a pic of my frothy beer tank as I am temporarily calling it.

http://jt-tucker.com/images/tank/tank1foam.JPG

cocoa_pleco
05-17-2007, 01:33 AM
WOW, that tank looks like it has rabies!

jttt3
05-17-2007, 01:39 AM
lol I know, crazy huh? I have the wierdest luck and oddest things happen.
lol.

Chrona
05-17-2007, 02:57 AM
LOL

Yeah, it's probably the dechlorinator. Either that or someone dropped a bar of soap in the tank when you weren't looking...lol.

RobbieG
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
I've had the same thing happen a few times setting up new tanks - if I skim it off and wait it goes away. (I agree that its most likely the dechlorinator)

jttt3
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Yep, that's what I am doing. I'm running the airstone all the time and then just skimming the foam off when I am around. I was reading around and found that they use to use airstones a long while back to do just that with salt water tanks. Of course, they've advanced much farther now. =)

I'm hoping to start my cycling this Sunday, we'll see I guess, I'm in no rush. I rather make sure I get this all right the first time than sacrifice a bunch of fish.

James

Lady Hobbs
05-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Last time I bought dechlorinator, I purchased the Tetra AquaSafe and I had the same thing. Not quite as much as you have....wow.....but still foam at the top for a few days and immediately after a large water change so I know mine isn't due to bad water.

Fishguy2727
05-18-2007, 02:07 AM
You want foam, overdose Melafix and Pimafix.

cocoa_pleco
05-18-2007, 02:12 AM
You want foam, overdose Melafix and Pimafix.

HECK YEAH. I once did that and i had a bubblebath for my fish