PDA

View Full Version : rcs setup...

sebastien
04-07-2010, 04:14 AM
right now my tank is empty and filterting..only gravel in it..how long should i wait before adding java moss?...and then how long should i let the moss sit in tank before adding shrimp to it...??? appreciate all answers/advice

Z Fish Man
04-07-2010, 04:19 AM
You should be able to add the moss right away. It's usually best to add shrimp to an established tank that has been cycled as they are sensitive to ammonia and nitrite fluctuation. Established tanks will also have more of a food source for them as algae and decayed plant particles will have built up. That being said if you are only adding shrimp to the tank you could add them and their bioload on the tank should be minimal. You might have to supplement them with some flake food or something once a day to keep them fed.

korith
04-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Feel free to put the moss in right away. Shrimp really have very little bioload, you can probably get away with putting them into a new tank right away if you have no where else to put them. I've done this a few times w/o any losses.

Given enough plants in a tank, you can go through a silent cycle.

Sarkazmo
04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I wouldn't risk the shrimp but the moss is fine. You could plant the entire tank and then do the cycle if ya wanted.

Shrimp are really sensitive to ammonia though... RCS are pretty darn hardy inverts but they have their limits and usually it's the 'straw that broke the camel's back" sorta thing and they nearly all die when it goes bad.

Sark