PDA

View Full Version : Blue Watchman Goby and a Blenny in a 55g?

travie
04-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I want to get a blenny for my 55g, but I have a blue watchman goby; so I don't know if there is any blenny that I can add. I want a blenny that is a herbivore to aid my snails, which seem to be horrible algae eaters, in eating algae.

Is there any blenny(and which one?) that I could add that is a herbivore and has the highest chances of getting along with my goby?

Thank you,
travie

travie
04-08-2010, 04:46 AM
No suggestions on which herbivore blenny that I could add to my tank that would have the highest probability of getting along with my blue watchman goby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave66
04-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Since most of the gobies and blennies that come to mind as herbivores, either one would be in the same sphere as your watchman (a bad idea, since he's already established) or have such a dismal long term survival rate they'd be a waste of money.

I'm curious - what are your snails eating if not algae?

Dave

travie
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
They are eating the micro algae, I would imagine, but its the larger more established, pain-in-the-butt algae I need eaten. I can't seem to get rid of it no matter how meticulous I am with feeding.

labnjab
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I would try to get to the cause of the algae. If you add a fish that eats it it may not be able to keep up.

Have you tried running gfo in a reactor? Are you using ro/di? Also what kind of substrate do you have? We had a year long battle with gha in our 29 gallon before we upgraded to the 75. No matter what we did it always came back. Turns out the sand was silica sand (we bought it as used live sand) and most liklely the cause of the algae. Since upgrading to the 75 which has aragonite and a gfo reactor, all the rocks that were covered gha in the 29 are algae free. We feed heavily too. 3 tsp of phytofeast a day, 1 cube of brine shrimp for our suns, half a cube of brine shrimp for the fish at night and a good pinch of nls pellets in the morning.

travie
04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Have you tried running gfo in a reactor? Are you using ro/di? Also what kind of substrate do you have?

The algae is isolated on the sand and one rock. It has never moved from this rock since I got over the first GHA stage. Have not tried a gfo. Yes to ro/di. It is mostly aragonite with a very small amount of play sand.

The part that gets me is that the gha doesn't spread to other rocks. It just stays on the one rock.