PDA

View Full Version : The Beginning - 10gal

tinkerpuppet
04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
"The Beginning" because I'm sure this simple little tank will certainly lead to more! It was originally set up March 2, with several additions along the way. I have no big plans for it now, except to hopefully watch it grow a bit!

Specs

10gal
Stock hood with 2 x 25w incandescent bulbs (I'm on the hunt for cfl's!!!)
50w heater
Stock filter (Walmart brand? Bought the tank off Kijiji)
Substrate - sand

Critters

Betta
2 guppies (will have 2 more later this week)
6 ghost shrimp
bakers dozen Malaysian Trumpet Snails (soon to be more I'm sure, just found the first baby today!). They're doing a great job moving around in the sand.

Greens

Java Fern
Java Fern - narrow leaf
Java Moss
Anubias
Sagettaria
?? Hygropilia

Root tabs under the sagettaria and hygrophilia. These were extras given to me, so hopefully I can make them work.

The Scape Deets

Pretty happy overall, its simple, yet lots to watch. Not too happy with the back left corner rock pile where the Java Fern is. There was a sponge filter there that I sent in a cycled tank to my mom. So now I need to attach the Java Fern better to something and fill in that corner. I'm thinking maybe another small piece of driftwood. I also want to put in more caves/cover for the shrimp. I'm thinking of using the river rocks to build mini-caves. Maybe covering them in more moss?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/tinkerpuppet/024-2.jpg

Northernguy
04-06-2010, 10:50 PM
That is a fabulous beginning!Great looking tank too!thumbs2:
You will enjoy watching it grow!

troy
04-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice looking tank.thumbs2:

EmmanuelJB
04-07-2010, 01:58 AM
The tank looks great so far!! Do the betta and the guppys get along fine?

tinkerpuppet
04-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Thanks so much!

Yep, the betta and guppies are fine, totally ignore each other, even during feeding. The betta likes to stalk the back wall, and the guppies play all over, so they're not usually running into each other too much.

And on some sage advice, I switched up my background a bit. I did have blue construction paper. I liked that it hid the cords and filter, but didn't like the seam showing so much. But I changed it to black, and I much prefer it (and you can't see the seam!).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/tinkerpuppet/028-3.jpg

Brhino
04-07-2010, 03:09 AM
How long has your java moss been in the tank? I'm hoping mine will get to looking like yours.

tinkerpuppet
04-07-2010, 03:17 AM
How long has your java moss been in the tank? I'm hoping mine will get to looking like yours.

Thank you! Not that long actually, about a month? I put it in with the driftwood right when I started the cycle, so early March. I'm actually surprised how quickly it is growing, I wasn't sure I'd have anything that noticible for awhile yet!

tinkerpuppet
04-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Hmmm, I can't seem to edit the original post, so I'll just update a bit here. I switched out the incandescent bulbs with some 7w, 2700k cfl's. Not as strong as I'd like (I want the 9w 6500k bulbs), but for now hopefully the change will help with the overheating I was experiencing with the incandescents. However apparently the bulbs I want aren't that common to come by, so I'm looking for a place to order online.

And I actually really prefer the light quality! The whole tank looks much clearer and the plants are really 'popping' more.

Also I added a couple of little pvc pipes as caves for the shrimp. So far the snails seem to like them, but no shrimp in there yet. If they do start using them, then I'll decorate them with either sand, rocks or moss. Or on a tip, I'll try using the bamboo pipe for a more natural look.

tinkerpuppet
01-01-2011, 02:06 AM
Well, its been quite awhile since I first set up my tank, and I'm still loving it! A little has changed since the beginning, some plants are different, I changed the scape a month or so ago. I still have my original Betta and 5 ghost shrimp. I have a few guppies now too thanks to my stepdads breeder tank (he'll get any extra guppy fry that make it). I also have a kabillion mts snails and pond snails. I know many here find them pests, but I love watching all them too, I'm quite happy they're there.

I'm afraid its been so long since I've thought of the details, I don't remember a lot of the plant names. I have the big Java moss in the back left, some Anubias attached to the driftwood, I don't know what the red stuff in front is (it tends to grow, then all die off, and then sprout again from this nut looking thing), some grassy stuff that has been spreading well, and in the back right (not sure you can see it well) some kind of narrow java fern (?? I think??).

My techy stuff is mostly the same. The bulbs I found in my last post have been fantastic. The temp is totally stable, and the light is obviously enough for my plants to thrive (I've actually had a couple types that I had to completely remove because they grew so much!). My cheapie Walmart filter died, and I got a new Marina Slim S10. Sleek! Everything is working so well and seems so balanced not once have I seen any sign of algae, I've never cleaned the glass even! (hope I didn't just jinx it!)

I have to say this tank has brought me countless hours of peace. I love feeding time when I sit down and watch the activity. I'm starting to think of maybe getting a small shrimp tank going. Hubby is thinking of a larger tank of his own, he loves this one but wants some different fish (I still love my lowly guppies and Betta!). Not sure he knows what he's getting into though, hah!

Thanks so much to this community, I never could have done this on my own (or with the advice of the LFS!).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/tinkerpuppet/148.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/tinkerpuppet/160.jpg

Brhino
01-01-2011, 02:09 AM
wow, the plants have really grown in well. Looks great!